New Photo Project

As Matt and I kind of switch roles, I've been thinking about starting a new photography project.







A few years ago we had some major life changes... a move, career changes, welcoming a new child into the family.  All of which have changed our lives for the better.  I've been back in school for a little over a year now and I'm so glad I decided to do this.  It's added a level of fulfillment and meaning that I have been missing for quite a while.  Part of what allows me to go to school full time while I have 3 kids is that Matt has been staying home with them (which he will continue to do while I am student teaching).  This role reversal (I "work," Matt takes care of the house and kids) comes with some growing pains as we shuffle responsibilities and navigate how to accomplish all.the.things. while not dropping any balls.  Although, two thoughts on that:  1- we can't do all the things, we have to prioritize and let go of whatever doesn't make the cut, and 2- we drop the balls from time to time despite our best efforts.  But we're learning and adjusting to our new normal.

As part of this new normal, especially as I head into my student teaching year (which is going to be INTENSE), I've been thinking about some small way I can document our family's experience.  I have a couple ideas, but the one I'm most considering right now is doing a photo essay type thing on fatherhood.  I recognize that it's not typical, even in this day, for father's to be the primary childcare giver for their children.  Even in houses with dual working parents, most of the work (especially the mental work) still falls to mothers.  And I think this is still true in our house, however, the responsibility is certainly shifting more towards Matt at this point.  And it's so interesting to see how he takes on fatherhood and care giving... how it's similar to how I do things, and how it's different.  And what that means for our family and for our children.

So I think this is going to be my next intentional project.  I'm really excited.  But also, I have nearly ZERO free time, so I'm going to have to figure out a practical way to accomplish this task... we'll see how it goes.  I'm thinking of doing a photo a week type of approach.  Hopefully that is manageable.  At this point, it's time to start noticing and brainstorming ideas for what I should include.   This will probably be a long term project, and then maybe I can assemble a photo book as a gift for Father's Day next year.  I'm excited, I already have a few photos to kind of jump start my thinking on this!  Now I just have to hope that grad school and teaching don't get in my way too much :)

Comments