Project 365: Day 129

No picture from me today.  It was a crazy day.  Crazy.

The house 2 doors over caught fire early this morning and burned completely to the ground (with the exception of their garage).  We were told to evacuate our house as a precautionary because the fire was beginning to spread.  Matt and I grabbed the kids, the dog, our back up hard drive and wallets and left the house.  Our very kind neighbors took us in for a few hours while we waited to see what would happen.  Thanks to the firefighters, the fire was contained to the one house, and ours was completely fine.  It was such a weird thing to go through.  I realize that we were completely untouched by the fire, but the ordeal left me a little shaken... definitely too close to home.  Afterwards, when we were back home and safe Matt and I talked about our fire escape plan...  including: should we have grabbed anything else?  Nope, maybe some of Matt's paintings if we could have managed.  All this stuff all over our house, and we would have been totally fine to let it burn.  I'm glad he was able to easily grab the hard drive, only because our pictures and home movies are on it, and I really would hate to lose that, but otherwise it's amazing to see how detached we really are from all our stuff.

Anyway, here is a link to some photos of the fire taken by a fire fighter.  I just couldn't bring myself to pick up my camera at all that day (nor do I have any interest in taking pictures of the fire, either during or afterwards).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152279652432630.1073741842.132801162629&type=1

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my God!! I'm glad you are ok!! I can only imagine how you felt that day...were people living in that house? I'm also glad that you are not attached to your stuff...it's rare in this world...