From Another Blog

I'm sure I'm not alone in the amount of blogs I read.  For the most part I enjoy reading them while in the moment of doing so, and then I tend to move on.  But every once and a while I read something that resonates with me....

 I just stumbled upon this (somewhat old) entry on a blog I started following not too long ago and I really appreciate the way this woman talks about being a mother.  (also her house is pretty fabulous)  So I just thought I'd share.

Here's the original post:  http://www.designmom.com/2013/06/living-with-kids-ginger-johnson/

And some of the snippets I liked (it's kind of long):

"My children have forced me to dig deep into who I am and what I value and to draw upon patience that I do not naturally have, and become creative in ways I had not contemplated before (who knew a brand new box of tissues makes for the best entertainment on a 5-hour road trip for an 18-month old?), and be selfless in a way I could not have fathomed before having kids. Just as I would be a different person if I had not married my husband, I would be a vastly different person if I were not mother to these two boys."

"Yes, it’s important to savor the moment; it’s true that the years pass quickly, but savoring the moment only gives you snippets of life. It’s even more important to have a wide-angle perspective, and savor the sum total of these moments. We all have good moments and bad moments, good days and bad days. When we look at the grand mosaic of these moments taken together, we can see the artistry and the beauty of the life that we have."

And the phrase she uses "kindergarten confidence" completely applies to Dylan right now.  He is so sure of himself, his abilities, his likes and dislikes... sometimes maybe a little too sure of himself (trying to correct him can be really difficult because he fully believes himself to be right in all things).  But that's because he has every reason to still believe in himself.  The self-doubting and peer pressure phase haven't kicked in yet.  And I am naively wishing it never will, that somehow Dylan will be spared from that.  But there's so much that's out of my control now that he is out in the world on his own more... so much...  mostly for the better but the possibility for worse keeps me worrying.

 Reading her post got me a little gushy about my own motherhood experience.  The day to day stuff can definitely feel tedious, unrelenting, non-monumental, and HARD.  And it challenges me to dig deeper and push myself every day.  I mean how rewarding is it to constantly have to make peanut butter sandwiches for lunch? help kids put shoes on, break up fights over toys, and seriously Aaron... how many times a day do you really need to be pooping?  But I know enough to realize that the hard stuff is usually related to the best of life.  Because on the flip side of the nonstop messes and kid-to-parent power struggles are the giggles, and hugs, and sweet/silly/joy-filled moments.  Have you heard Dylan laugh?  Is there a more real expression of innocence and live-in-the-moment silliness than that?  I don't think so.

It also made me think about how being a mother has changed me and pushed me into becoming a better person all around.  In some profound ways, which I am still trying to wrap my head around... and in some smaller ways.  I spend more time outside: playing at the park, going for walks, hockey in the driveway, raking up leaf piles, watching t-ball games.  I started running, and photography, and even cooking because of this new lifestyle.  I have more patience (which is good because I also use it up quicker), I have a reason to be silly (which I would not ever bother with if it weren't for kids), I have learned to be flexible and spontaneous, I've learned what real worry is like, and most importantly to appreciate all the love I have in my life.

Also, on a less serious note, I love the way she describes the New Hampshire winters.  That is the kind of winter I wish I could experience every year.

Comments