Wait, it's August already?

I'm not ready for it.  That means I need a new monthly resolution.  And an update on my June/July resolution.

First things first, June/July:  I combined these months because the plan was to tackle the basement.  That was the plan.  But it didn't happen.  It didn't even get touched.  In fact, at this point the basement is even more cluttered and unorganized than it was in May.  However... we made big progress in the rest of the house.  The main level and master suite was finally repainted.  I reorganized our "music room"  (the formal living room), and got finally got a sideboard for the dining room.  Matt is also in the process of redoing the office.  So the basement got put on hold, because that made more sense.  But once the office is done, that is #1 on my list.  In fact, I may even start going through mine and the kids stuff before Matt joins in.  So the basement is still undone, oh well.  Life goes on.

Now on to August:  I have no idea what to try and plan out for August, and here's why... I can't seem to get ANYTHING done this summer.  Run a 20k... nope.  Clean the basement... nope.  Wean Aaron... nope.  Cook dinner... hardly.  Put laundry away....  occasionally.  Read a book... nope.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we have no schedule this summer.  Everyday is different from the last and so it's hard to establish any kind of real routine, which means I can't really have any expected productivity.  It causes me to hesitate making anything close to a plan or a goal this month.  I'm trying desperately to just roll with it instead.  Which is why on Sunday I randomly took the kids to the DC Mall by myself (Matt would have come if he weren't sick), followed by a trip to the National Zoo the next day when invited by friends of ours (instead of using Monday as my get things clean day).  And why I've let about 12 loads of clean but unfolded laundry pile up in my bedroom... though I did fold that this morning, it's currently sitting in nice neat piles on the bed, and will be put away tonight, finally.  Running has been nearly nonexistent because of the lack of knowing when I'll get a chance to run, trying to balance running and cleaning (because I usually only have enough time for one or the other), and Aaron's lack of a predictable nap schedule (due solely to the fact that our family's schedule is changing everyday).

For a while I considered going back to the same-old-same-old so that these other things would fall into place, but you know what... Dylan starts kindergarten in LESS THAN A MONTH.  And at that point we will have a schedule forced on us.  For the next 13 years.  I know that he's had preschool the last 2 years, so we kind of had a forced schedule, but he only did that for 2 or 3 days of the week, and if we had to miss a day or week, no biggie.  But elementary school is a different thing altogether.  So instead I've decided to embrace the chaos, and the messy house, and try to be more spontaneous.  Come September Aaron will get a nap time, Dylan will go to bed at a decent time, I'll go back to running 3-4 times a week, dinner will get made every night, and the house will have some sense of order.  But for now I'm choosing fun day trips, art projects, and quality family time over chores.  Which I suppose means that my August resolution is to embrace last remaining bit of freedom we have this summer.  Hopefully I'll have more success with that than the last resolution.

Comments