Running Update

So I already broke the news on Facebook, but I'll go into a little more detail here...

I've decided not to run the Leesburg 20k this year.  It was a tough call to make.  I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now... I know I'm not ready for it.  But I thought that if I just ignored that, I'd be able to push through and do it anyway.  Unfortunately my body doesn't work that way.  I've been having pain in my left leg (knee and hip) for the last few weeks, I haven't managed to hit 8 miles on my last 3 attempts for various reasons (this week my body just started walking after 5.5 miles-- and there was nothing I could do about it), and time is just not on my side.  Despite starting to run in March, it just wasn't enough time to really prepare.  I'm sure that I could run/walk it.  But I just don't really see the point of that.  I mean, I can walk 12.4 miles today...  it's not very hard, so where's the accomplishment in that?  I really want to be able to run the whole thing, and hopefully finish before they turn the clock off.  And at this point I'm not sure that would happen.  Actually at this point if I keep pushing myself like I have been, I'm pretty sure I'll wind up with either a hip or knee injury and won't be able to run anyway.  Plus then I'll have to go through injury recovery, which I just don't have time for either.  So.........  no 20k this year.  I'm trying not to think of it as quitting, because I really think it's the right decision, but it still feels a little bit like quitting or giving up.  Then again, I'm hoping that leaving this goal unreached will push me to continue working hard so that I can achieve it in the future.

And really it's not like all my hard work has been wasted.  I've improved my running and health so much since I started up again in March.  Actually my shorter distances are getting better and better by the week.  I feel great after 4 miles, and I'm happy with the pace I can maintain for that distance.  Plus I'm getting better and better at my mile too.  I have a feeling I'll be at 9:00 before too long.  So for now I'm going to concentrate on those shorter distances, improving my stride, and getting comfortable running at a quicker pace.  Plus more cross training and strengthening for my weak muscles.

One of the main reasons I even started back up with running was to lose my baby weight.  Mission accomplished as far as that goes...  in fact, I'm even below my pre-Dylan weight at this point... at a number I never thought I'd see again.  I'm back in all my pre-pregnancy clothes (actually all my pre-pregnancy clothes are now too big, but I'm too cheap to buy a new wardrobe-- at least until I've maintained this weight long enough to know it's not going to go back up to my normal weight)  Aside from some aches and strains that come from carrying a baby all year I feel good.

So now what can I do to keep myself running??  Well, I'm still working on that.  I think I'll try and do a 10k towards the end of the summer, that's a much more manageable distance for me.  Plus, our family is supposed to run the Firecracker 5k in Reston on July 4th.  I'm determined to beat my mom this time (she is deceptively fast).  And I still want to hit my goal of a 9 minute mile both on and off the treadmill.  Long term goals-- well I suppose I may as well keep the 20k on the list, along with a half marathon (it's only a tiny bit further).

But in the meantime I'm just going to take things little by little.  I'll get there eventually.

Comments