Photography Fears: Setting my own White Balance

I played around with White Balance last night.  I didn't really know what I was doing, but even with that taken into consideration I think I'm on the right track for figuring out how to get a better white balance.  All part of my effort to get my pictures better SOOC.  Though WB is one of the easier adjustments to make on a raw file, but I still think this is a good thing for me to figure out.

These were all taken in my living room at about 9pm, so the only source of light is from our ceiling fan lights... normally all of the pictures would be very yellow.  From what I've read sometimes you can adjust the Kelvin levels on your camera to get a very specific white balance.  As far as I could tell, my camera doesn't have the feature.  So instead I used a picture of our freshly painted and very empty white wall in the living room to customize my WB.  Here we go:

Camera set to Auto WB.  The best option from the presets, but still really really yellow.

With everything else the same, I just used my WB.  It's a lot better, though it probably skews a little too blue now, but it is much truer to the colors in the room.







 Same thing here:  auto WB

 Preset WB





 The main reason I need to figure out the WB is so that all the pictures of the kids htat are taken in the house stop making them look like they have jaundice.

I don't think I would have been able to guess that this was taken inside at 9pm.

Comments