Turn the Page

I feel like I am entering a new phase of mothering.  Dylan is 5.  That's a big milestone.  And so much comes with it.

I know there are lots of parents out there who think they have the greatest kids ever, but the truth is, that  they are wrong.  They can't possibly have the greatest kid ever because I do.  Dylan is becoming quite an amazing kid.  Dylan is full of personality, interests, passions (baseball, zombies, metallica, science, magic tricks, counting to 100... I could keep going), humor, kindness, and intellegence.  And he's just fun. He's super well behaved, both at school and at home.  He even understands now that there are things he's allowed to do at home but are inappropriate for school... The other day after I picked him up from school we hung around outside while Dylan ran around with his school friends (the usual)... they played a game of what can best be described as Zombie Tag.  Basically the kids were all chasing each other around with their arms out while chanting "brains.... brains.... brains...."  I asked Dylan about it later that day...  "Dylan I saw you playing zombie at school today" (considering his obsession with zombies right now I"m assuming this was his idea) "Oh no mom, we can't play zombie at school, that it way too violent" "oh, did your teachers tell you that?"  "no, I just know that we can't play violent things at school, so I waited until school was over to play"  That is my son.   So now we are turning from parenting a small preschool-age child and preparing to have an elementary school-aged kid.

And instead of teaching him what things are called and helping him pronounce them properly (remember when he used to say ti-gar instead of guitar), he wants to know how to read and spell those words.  Instead of holding his hand when we go for walks, he is able to wander further and further on his own.  Instead of assisting helping him get dressed for the day I can just tell him "dylan, go get ready for school."

Soon I'll be standing outside waiting with him for the big yellow school bus to come.  Soon I'll be sitting down at the table in the afternoon to help him with his homework.  Soon we'll be doing baseball games on the weekend with ice cream treats afterwards whether his team won or lost.

It's a new phase in our lives and one that I am looking forward too as much as I am nervous about the unknown it brings.

Comments