Pan Seared Halibut with Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce

This was really good and not at all difficult to make.  The sauce could also be used over pasta.  Im sure I'm not the first person to ever make a roasted tomato sauce like this, but I didn't follow a recipe.  Instead I changed one from a tv show... Chucks Day Off on the Cooking Channel.  He made a smoked tomato-tarragon sauce and it looked really good and simple.  Except I don't have a smoker, so I decided to try and roast it instead.  The first time I made it, the tarragon was a little too powerful, so this time around I used basil instead (figuring it was a more classic pairing).  I liked it much better this way.  It's super easy and quick because you dont have to do much careful chopping (like you would when you make a marinara since it all goes in the processor)  So here's how I made it:

4 medium tomatoes, quartered
1/2 a medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
3 of the biggest basil leaves I've ever seen in my life
Olive oil, salty, pepper

Toss tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a pan, drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper.  Roast on 400 for about 30-40 minutes (I didn't really time it).  Transfer to food processor, add basil and puree.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

I pan seared 2 halibut fillets (the frozen ones from Wegmans) in some olive oil and salt and pepper.  Then poured a generous spoonful of the sauce over the fish. It was delicious.  I also have enough sauce left over to use on pasta later this week, yay!

Comments

Jenn said…
Yummy! Man, now I'm hungry.
Jess said…
It is yummy, you should try it sometime, of course with only 1 clove of garlic. I couldn't get the recipe off my mind after mentioning it to you in an email.
Jenn said…
OMG! We had this for dinner tonight. Complete with pasta on the side and 4 cloves of garlic (I doubled the recipe to make sure there was enough). It was delicious and even Isaiah gobbled it all up, without a single complaint about veggies. It took all of 5 minutes to prepare the sauce (I know because Isaiah was in time out for almost the whole time). It was awesome and will be added to our regular rotation.
Jess said…
I'm so glad you guys liked it! I think this will definitely be a regular during the summer. I can't wait to try it with really fresh ripe tomatoes. Good call on doubling the batch. I may do that too and see how well it freezes.