Randomness Post

A few random thoughts and things going on lately:

2011 is off to a fairly uneventful start.  I made a bunch of personal resolutions in late 2010 that I have been doing well with.  I added one official 2011 resolution (in addition to the few personal goals I mentioned in my last post), which is to stop watching TV while Dylan is napping (at least during the week).  I've only had one slip up so far, but otherwise I really like the restriction, I can do anything else I want.  So a lot of time I clean, try to get through a few productive tasks, but I also read, listen to music, take a little nap, and surf the Internet.

I remember when I was younger and I'd get a new CD and take it into my room, listen to it over and over while reading the lyrics until I knew all of the songs completely.  I miss doing that.  Now I'm lucky if I even learn the name of a song.  Case in point, the other night I was listening to a Bright Eyes song and thought, "for some reason this song always reminds me of Ode to Joy (better known as Beethoven's 9th symphony") then I actually looked at the name of the song in case I wanted to do a little research on it later and it turns out the name of the song is "Road to Joy!" I've had this album for several years and I never realized this.  Could just be a crazy coincidence, but I'm guessing that the similarity between the two songs in unintentional.  Had I gotten this cd in high school, I would have noticed the connection immediately.  Anyway, so I've started listening to my music that way again.  Learning and memorizing it as much as possible, it's fun and it makes me happy :) a way better alternative to watching wasteful TV like Food Network all the time.

Last night I used the slicer attachment on my food processor to cut cabbage for some peanut slaw.  Wow, that was soooo ridiculously easy.  I've had that thing for 6 1/2 years, and never realized all it's capable of doing.  I think that's largely due to the fact that I used to have so much junk in my kitchen that the food processor was a huge pain to take out.  So I never used it.  Now that it's easily accessible though I probably use it 2-3 times a week.  I think that's fairly true of most things that survived the kitchen purge.  Again, something little that makes me happier.

I end a lot of sentences with prepositions.  I'm aware of it whenever it happens, and try to correct it if possible, but sometimes I can't figure out how to reword the sentence so I just leave it.  I'm definitely not the only one who does it.

Sometimes when I look around the house, I get discouraged because despite all our purging efforts of the last year I still feel like the house doesn't look all that different.  What else can I get rid of?!?!?  I think the main reason I feel that though is because most of our purging was with stuff hidden in drawers and cabinets and closets.  Not the open spaces you see all the time.  This year Matt and I are planning to do some major changes to the house though, so I'm trying to hold off judgement until everything is done.

   

Jessica

Comments