My First Recipe!

Okay, so I don't typically follow recipes to a T when I make savory meals, but I do usually use them as guidelines.  They help give me an idea of flavors that work together, as well as ratios of ingredients so that one ingredient doesn't overwhelm the whole meal.  But this is one of the first recipes I kinda made up all on my own.  Not entirely though, I watched an episode of Jamie Oliver the other day and he made a soup similar to this that used coconut milk, so i got the idea there, but I didn't look anything up when I started this I just threw it all together myself.  And it was delicious!  So here is what I would consider to be my first recipe. 
There maybe something else like this out there somewhere... But I want to write down my version here in case I ever decide to make it again.  Measurements aren't exact because I don't measure, I just go by look and taste.

Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut milk

1 container of pre-cut butternut squash, further cut down to 1 inch size pieces (for faster cooking)
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 small yellow onions sliced thin
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne powder
A few cups of vegetable stock
1/2 - 1 cup of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime

Saute the onion in the olive oil until they are soft and translucent.  Add garlic and sauté for another minute or so.  Add spices, including a little salt and black pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Then add the butternut squash.  Stir to coat the squash with the seasonings, cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the vegetable stock.  Simmer over medium heat until the squash is fork tender.  Purée mixture to desired thickness (I left a few squash chunks in mine).  Return to stove over low heat.  Add coconut milk and lime juice.  Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.

It was really good!  The coconut milk definitely enhanced the sweetness of the squash, but the curry and  cayenne pepper kept it savory with a little kick.  I've seen coconut and lime paired together a lot so I added the lime juice at the very end, kind of on a whim and it made all the difference.  Matt said it reminded him of the taste of indian food, which I took his word for because my experience with indian food is extremely limited (though what I have had I love.) this was also my first time ever using coconut milk, I'd say it was a success :) 

Comments