Jeff Tweedy Concert

On Wednesday, Matt and I made a relatively quick trip down to Charlottesville for a very special concert... We saw Jeff Tweedy! I have wanted to see him on a solo tour for a few years now (really ever since we started listening to Wilco and I happened to come across an amazing review of one of his solo concerts.) Matt also got a DVD of one of his tours from a few years ago and this quickly became one of my favorites. In one of the backstage clips Tweedy says that this is the type of concert you drink a warm glass of milk and put on slippers to get ready for, and that sums it up fairly well. I remember watching it many many times at 2:00 am when I was pregnant with Dylan and having a hard time sleeping. I'd pour myself a small glass of milk (for the heart burn) and sit on the couch and watch it until I felt better and could sleep again. I think it has the same kind of calming effect on me that Agnes Martin paintings do.

So while we have seen Wilco several times, I was still hoping to catch a Tweedy solo show at some point in my life, though I really wasn't expecting it to happen anytime soon. When I saw tour dates were announced (all four of them) a few months ago, I nearly peed my pants out of excitement. And then I managed to get my hands on a pair of front row seats for the Charlottesville show… how perfect. I had high expectations going into this show, and I was not at all disappointed. It was incredible! I enjoyed every single minute of the show, starting with the first song “Sunken Treasure,*” which is one of the better songs I’ve seen performed live and finally ending with his cover of John Lennon’s “God” (in honor of the 30 year anniversary of John Lennon’s shooting).

*Here's a video of it on YouTube, though the person who edited seemed to be a little antsy, lots of quick cuts. Still a great song though.

Definitely a memorable night. And just to help me keep the memory, I’m adding the setlist to the end of my post… again, this is more for my sake than anyone else's.

Jeff Tweedy @ The Paramount Theater, Charlottesville, VA 12/8/10

Set:
Sunken Treasure, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, One Wing, Muzzle of Bees, Via Chicago, I’m Always in Love, Solitaire, Cars Can’t Escape, Hesitating Beauty, The Ruling Class, You Are Not Alone, Hummingbird, Jesus, Etc., Gun, New Madrid, I’m the Man Who Loves You, Shot in the Arm, Dreamer in my Dreams (performed without the PA)

Encore:
At My Window, Sad and Lonely#, California Stars$, Passenger Side$, Give Me Back the Key to My Heart$, God%

Notes: # w/ Pat Sansone & John Stirratt, $ w/ The Autumn Defense, % John Lennon cover w/The Autumn Defense

Comments