Rainy Day Thoughts

It's been in the high 90s and low 100s nearly everyday this summer. Which has made me slightly miserable. I'm not a huge fan of summer to begin with, so going through an even hotter summer is not fun at all. We finally have a break in the hot humid weather, which I'm happy about. Yesterday was a beautiful day, in the 70s for the most part. Today it's even cooler out. Dylan and I are both wearing pants with no sweating in sight. I should be really really excited. Except this is one of the rare days that I had outdoor plans, so I'm kinda bummed. But on this rainy, dreary day I figured I'd take a moment to jot down some of my random thoughts...

First of all I think I need to admit that I have absolutely no ability to be spontaneous. In fact, the idea of not having every detail planned out way in advanced causes me to panic quite a bit. Today, for instance, I was ready to start calling my friends at like 7am to come up with a Plan B since it looked like our outdoor concert was going to be rained out. But then I had to keep reminding myself that it was early, and not to stress out about it, I'm sure we'll figure something out. But the real truth is that I've been kind of freaking out about it since yesterday morning when I first saw the weather report. I just forced myself to repress it. Luckily by 9am plans had been made, so I now feel much better. Other ways I'm not spontaneous... I plan out our dinners 2 weeks in advanced. I actually get a lot of comments on this since I leave the menus on the fridge. And I have to say that it really helps dinner time run more smoothly since I know well in advanced what food to buy at the grocery store and what meat to take out of the freezer in time to thaw. I also keep a very detailed calendar for every mundane thing we do, but I think a lot of people do that. I also start nearly every conversation with Matt on the weekend with "What's the plan for today?" Mostly to hear what he has going on, but also to set up a schedule in my mind for how we will get through the day. Here's my big confession, Matt is a spontaneous person. And it's a good thing that he is, because if we were both meticulous planners I have a feeling that our lives would be very boring and very routine. So he manages to throw some curve balls every once and a while, that give me minor panic attacks in the moment, but also have taught me to relax, let go, and enjoy the moment. I have tried to be spontaneous like him, but here's what usually happens... I think "how can I be spontaneous this weekend?" then I research lots of little things until I find an activity that sounds interesting. I get all the details for the activity and make sure it wont conflict with anything else we're doing. In my mind the plan is set.... I just don't mention it until the time gets closer, so that it seems more spur of the moment than it is. That's the best I've been able to do. But I think I am getting better with Dylan since flexibility is required of parents.

Next, I think I can finally publicly admit that Dylan is completely potty trained. Not that we don't have an occasional small accident here and there, but for the most part, he's good. He even goes without a diaper at nap time and has done great with that. We've tackled public restrooms and other people's houses all with great success. So diapers are pretty much a thing of the past for us, with the small (and normal) exception of night time. Wahoo!

Dylan is also becoming quite the little boy. He's starting to use his imagination a lot more. He'll point out the window and tell me there's a helicopter in the sky (there's not), or make a train sound and tell me it's coming down the hallway (it's not). He also has started more pretend play. He's really attached himself to this huge, ugly, robot Godzilla toy that used to belong to Matt. He treats it like a baby doll. This morning I had to give Godzilla a hug and a kiss and then Dylan did the same. He also had Godzilla pretend eat from Eve's food bowl (until I got Godzilla his own bowl of food). It's the ugliest doll, but he is really cute with it.

Some of his favorite phrases right now "What's that sound like?" "What are you doing there?" and "very careful." I know he picked up the last one from me. I must tell him to be very careful a lot because he says it ALL the time. When he closes a door he'll say "very careful, don't pinch fingers" when he walks on the bathroom floor it's "very careful it's slippery" etc. But his favorite way of saying it is when he's doing something while not being careful. Maybe he thinks that by saying "very careful" he'll avoid hurting himself. We'll see if that works.

Lastly... I'm still working on the music dictionary. The Cs are very very long. I think it's because there are a lot of important concepts that begin with C, so far: canon, chaconne, chanson, cadence, cadenza, cantus firmus, cantata, choir, chorus, chorale, oh yeah and even Canada. Ok not really Canada. The biggest boast about music from Canada was for their national anthem "O Canada" and I hardly think that's had a major impact on the musical world. No mention of Brian Adams though, oh well. Now back to reading.

Comments