Potty Training Adventures

Dylan is potty training. We spent the whole weekend at home so that he'd have easy access to the potty, and he did surprisingly well. I say "surprisingly" only because I was fully dreading the whole experience, so the fact that I only had to clean up a few very small accidents was like a dream in comparison to the nightmare of clean ups I was mentally prepared for.

I was in no way planning on potty training at this point. In fact I had decided that I would wait to potty train until Dylan was really ready. In my mind that moment would be when Dylan came up to me and said something along the lines of "mother dearest, I wish to use the toilet now." Well, he didn't quite phrase it that way, but he did tell us a few times that he needed to pee, and then he started asking for diaper changes pretty frequently. So I took that as our cue. He must have been really ready, because aside from a few incidents on day one, he's been mostly accident free. Piece of cake.

Of course now we have to tackle the next potty training obstacle... leaving the house. We've gone outside and walked around the neighborhood a few times and he's done well with that. But we have yet to venture out anywhere in the car. Plus, he's never had to pee on a public toilet, so that should be an adventure. But today we'll attempt our first outing, I'm hopeful. He's done better than I expected with everything else, why should this be any different. Plus I really don't want to have to wash the car seat cover, because it seems like a real pain to get off.

I know I say it a lot, but I just can't believe how much Dylan is growing up.

Comments