Random Musings

No rhyme or reason to anything in this post:

When I was singing in choirs (for church and school), I learned a bunch of things about language that I never really paid attention to before. For example, people have a naturally tendency to pronounce "want you" as "wan-chew." Which is a big no-no when singing. But now whenever I'm listening to the radio and I hear someone say "wan-chew" instead of making the effort to clearly annunciate, it totally stands out, and kinda bothers me. Another interesting choir-language observation concerns the word "the." I never realized before that sometimes people pronounce it like "thuh" especially before a word that starts with a consonant, and sometimes you pronounce it "thee," especially before a word beginning with a vowel. In choir that was pretty much the rule (totally unknown to me before), but I've started noticing it while people are speaking too. But if someone would have asked me how to pronounce "the" I would have only said the first way, I dont think "thee" would have ever crossed my mind.

Other language issues... one night the security guard at the library was working on his english skills (he's fluent for the most part, but still struggles with complex grammar... who doesnt?) So he asked us the difference between the words "have" and "had" and when it's appropriate to use them. In all honest, I have no idea. Here was the example he gave: They have shut the doors. They had shut the doors. This is why I could never master a foreign language.

Baby update... all seems to be healthy and good so far. Apparently I'm gaining more weight than I should be, but as long as the baby's doing fine, I think that's the important thing. He's started kicking a lot more now. I read that it's because he's started building fat which gives him more energy, making him more active. I feel kicks, jabs, and swirly sensations pretty much all day long now. I've also picked out and registered for all the baby stuff I think I'll need (which I'm sure is probably nothing like what I'll actually need), though that was a loooong process. First I had to find out what stuff babies need, then I researched all the products to see which were best, then I went to babys r us to see them in person and make sure it really was something I wanted. Hopefully I picked good, safe items. Next week Matt and I are cleaning out the future baby's room... I have no idea where all the stuff is going to go though. I have a feeling that having a baby is going to require that I get over my issues with clutter.

I think that's about it for now. I have to admit that I really enjoy not going to school. But it has been challenging try to find ways to be productive around the house, though I think I'm doing a good job. Cleaning out stuff, repairing stuff, getting ready for the baby... plenty to keep me busy, just doesnt really make for interesting blog posts.

Comments