Pregnancy Dreams

I was just reading up on Month 7 in the What to Expect When You're Expecting book and I came across a section about pregnancy related dreams. I found this interesting because I have definitely had some very odd pregnancy related dreams, and none of the other pregnant women I know seem to have them (okay, so I only know 2 other pregnant people).

Anyway... towards the beginning of the pregnancy I used to dream about tornadoes a lot. We would all be at home (me, matt, and the dog), and all of a sudden there would be a tornado warning, and I'd look out the window and I could see it coming. And Matt would be like "I dont know what to do" so I'd run through the house real quick and open all the windows (so the pressure change wouldnt cause them to explode-- I think I remember learning that the year I lived in Kansas and we had tornado drills at school), and then I would drag matt and the dog into the basement bathroom (because it's the closest thing we've got to an underground room and there are no windows in there.) And we'd sit it out. But the tornado would never get that close to our house. Sometimes it would destroy everything around us, but we always came out okay. But just because nothing too bad ever happened in the dream, dont think that it was pleasant for me. Dreaming of surviving natural disasters 2 or 3 times a week gets to be exhausting. Anyway, my interpretation: definitely had something to do with feeling out of control when I found out I was pregnant. But at the same time, also realizing that I would be able to handle the situation and come out ok in the end, even if I get a little scared along the way.

Next series of recurring dreams: These are a little more direct, and they arent exactly the same, but there are very strong similarities, so I'll just describe those. They usually start with me in the hospital right after I've had the baby. Usually there's a lot of "family" around (not really my family, but in the dream they are my family), and they are all excited about the baby, while I'm laying in the hospital bed trying to figure out what is going on. Then someone gives me the baby and, not surprisingly, it can talk (I say "it" because sometimes it's a girl and sometimes it's a boy). And usually it says something like "are you sure you know how to be a mom? because I can take care of myself you know." From there on, no matter what I do, the baby tells me I'm doing it wrong, makes me stop, and then takes over and does it on his own. A lot of times too I'll end up going somewhere and a little while later I'll realize that I dont have the baby with me and I can't remember where I last saw it. I dont think that one needs my help at interpreting. I just hope that particular dream stops... soon.

Comments