No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth...

... though sometimes I feel like that might be easier.

So summer classes started. I remember last summer's classes, and how I used to complain about how easy and work-free they were (I'm sure I even blogged about it), well, you'll be happy to know that I'm now eating those words.

I'm currently taking a Young Adult Literature class (YA for all those who enjoy acronyms), which is actually really interesting, partly because I genuinely enjoy reading YA materials, partly because the teacher is really good (which is a rare and beautiful thing in my program), and of course partly because my friend Melissa is in it with me (how else would I survive the school library media frustration?). But it is a LOT of work. We have readings and writings due every class... I think when all is said and done I will have read 12-14 books over a (very short) 6 week period (plus boatloads of scholarly articles-- my personal favorite). Not that I mind the reading, I love the reading, but we also have to write about everything we read, which kinda sucks some of the life out of it. But I am in grad school so I understand that writing is an important part of the job. Unfortunately I think that I'm still struggling to recharge my brain's writing batteries after last semester, so most days I really struggle to even write a coherent, intelligent sentence (in case that isnt already obvious in this post).

One of the side effects of the class is that I'm finding tons of books I want to read (once I have a little more free time) which is something I've struggled with in the past few years. Granted most of them are fun easy reads, but I dont care.

Other news:
--I quit my job at the gallery. My last day is next Friday. The commuting has gotten to be too much. And I anticipate that when I am taking 2 classes during the second half of the summer, I wouldn't be able to handle it. But I stuck it out for a good 6 months, and it was great, real life librarian experience, so I'm thankful for that. But when I think about not having to be up at 5:30 to rush and get ready for the day when I dont actually work until 9:00... I am very happy :) And since I graduate in December (and I'm only taking 1 class in the fall, YAY) it will soon be time for me to start my real job search. In the meantime though, I'm going to see about volunteering at a local public library.
--Matt and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary on Tuesday. We both agree that it feels like we've been married for longer. Hopefully in a good way. But we spent most of the day in a car dealership buying a new VW Jetta 2.5 (it's a really great car... and we got a bright red one). Then we went the Lightfoot in leesburg for dinner, which was great. We started off with a glass of champagne, I got something on their list (a name I'll never remember, but it was really good). Matt picked a champagne called Sofia, Coppola something something (served with a straw). It came in a can. Very weird. But he liked it. I thought it tasted like the kind of champagne my mom used to buy. Dinner was great and I would highly recommend eating there. Though it seems to be a place to go for special occasions (as the couple sitting next to us was also celebrating their anniversary).
--At the end of June we're going to Florida for a week. Matt has a business trip down there for a few days (during which time I'll be reading a not-so-short stack of YA books), and then we are going to Disneyland (world?) for the rest of the week. I've never been, and Matt went as a young child, so it should be fun. Anyway, I think we are both ready for a vacation.

That's life in a nutshell.

Comments

Tom said…
Yeah, I miss you ridiculously. Believe it or not I was even talking about you today. But your brain is all full and stuff, so I just have to wish I could be as book smart (get it) as you.

Random comment, but I just got tagged to do this list of 8 random things. So now I'm passing it on to you :) http://www.tlbignerd.com/2007/06/random-8.html