Sol LeWitt

Okay, for anyone who closely monitors my blog, you may have noticed that over the past week or so I've been switching back and forth between using "LeWitt" and "Lewitt" in one of my earlier posts. This is because everywhere I've read his name lately does it differently. So at first I had "LeWitt" because that's what I thought I remember seeing it as. But then I saw it somewhere else as "Lewitt," so I lower-cased the "w" on my post. But then while at work the other day, I noticed that our folder on him was "LeWitt." So I just used the Library of Congress authority files to see what the official form of his name is... and I was right from the beginning, it's LeWitt. I guess I need to be more careful about where I get my info from.

Also, if you have published anything and are wondering how the Library of Congress forms your name, you can check out the authority files here. Just make sure you search under your last-name first. This will tell you how your name will appear in pretty much all standard library databases. I spend hours doing this every week (for work/school, not just for fun), it can be addicting (or just a way of knowing that I'm a big nerd). Maybe someday I too will have an authority file with LoC. Wouldn't that be awesome??

Comments