Happy Registration Day

Today I registered for classes at the University of Maryland for the last time. Or at least what I hope to be the last time. If this isn't already widely known, it should be... CLIS (College of Library and Information Science... which is the name of the college/program I'm in) is TERRIBLE at registration. Completely unorganized, unaware of how the technology works (you'd think they were the first ones to have ever used online registration), and totally unhelpful if you ask them any questions. Which is pretty much the EXACT OPPOSITE of what being a librarian is ALL about. Way to represent!

Anyway, I managed to get through this registration without any major problems (other than one of the online courses being "full" before registration even started... uhh... what's up with that????) So here's what's in store for me for the remainder of my MLS program.

Summer 1: Literature for Young Adults. Okay a little bit of a deviation from the whole glamorous music librarian thing... but I'm also trying to broaden my horizons and skills, and this is probably a good thing to know about if I ever want to work in a public library. Plus, it's either this or History of the Book. hmm... which one should I take?

Summer 2: Seminar in Academic Libraries and Access to Business Info. The first one is an online class, the second one meets in the morning on campus. Those are the only comments I have for that.

Fall: Well I was going to take Access to Social Science Info, but even though it was on the schedule, they aren't teaching it (which apparently we are just supposed to know because if you try to tell your advisor that it's one of the classes you want to take... they will be like "um, duh Jessica, that's not even an option... what the heck were you thinking??"), then I was going to take Access to Electronic Info, which is probably all about this database called Dialog (which lets you search in fun command type query language), but then I think I've finally settled on a class for International Comparative Librarianship (that's not the exact title, but it's something along those lines.) I looked at an old syllabus online and it seems like an interesting class. I'm expecting it to be similar to Ethnomusicology... maybe I can coin the term Ethnolibrarology.

Winter 2007: GRADUATION!!! wahoo!!!

Comments