More Changes

So in addition to changing my blog's layouts, I have a few other things that are going to be changing soon. The biggest change is that I got a new job!

I'm going to be working as a student aide at the National Gallery of Art's library. I applied for the job a little while ago, and didn't really hear anything right away. I actually applied for all 3 positions they advertised. But then one day I got a call for an interview and they said that they were "very anxious" to meet me as soon as possible, which I took as a good sign. My interview went really well, and I left with pretty high hopes (though I tried not to get them too high), and a short while later I got a call with the offer. I'm SO excited. And here's why:
-first of all, my schedule is fairly flexible, I can work 20 hours a week (or less depending on my class schedule) during school, and full time during breaks (and it's paid... which is far better than the intern option I was considering if this didnt work out)
-second, the library is only open Mon-Fri 9-5:30 which means no evenings and NO WEEKENDS! wahoo
-third, it's in a field that really interests me (I love art), and the library itself is in the modern wing of the museum, which I'm hoping means that I can go look at all the Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, and Rothko's I want on my breaks
-finally, I'm going to be working in the nonprint collections (Vertical Files and Microfilm), which I'm really excited about (because it's more interesting than reshelving books.)
-Oh I also get my own desk! wahoo!

Overall it's a pretty good opportunity for me, and I really plan on making the best of it. I'm a little nervous about starting because I haven't had a "real" job in a long time, and I dont think I've ever worked full time (other than at Starbucks over the summer). So it will definitely be a big change. Not to mention the fact that I'm gonna have to commute to DC in addition to College Park. But I'm willing to do it to reach my goals. Other than my car's mileage, this decision has also impacted my other jobs (as a piano teacher and part of St Matt's music program), and I've had to step down from both jobs. Believe me it was not easy to do. I especially hated informing my piano students since I have a strong connection with many of them. But I just came to the point where I realized that my life is heading in a new direction, and I either needed to jump on or get off.

So I should be pretty busy in December. I have finals coming up (AHHHH!), and I start my new job in the middle of december (actually the day before my finals... awesome). I wasnt supposed to start until after the holidays, but they really wanted me to come in earlier, so I told them I would, but that I couldnt work full time until after christmas. So I'm still going to be doing my church duties, and teaching piano during December.

These are pretty big changes for me. I'm definitely excited about everything that's coming up, but it's still hard to let go of what I've been doing. I just hope I'm making the right choices.

Comments