Labor Day Weekend

Ahh the holiday weekend... where did you go?
Here's a quick recap of what I've been up to:

Friday I had lunch with an old friend of mine. A girl I was good friends with in 8th grade when I lived over in Germany. We've managed to stay semi-connected over the years through occasional IMs, and Christmas cards from our parents (her father and my father worked together). Another form of connection came from my aunt... she was my friend's chemistry teacher in high school at one point (they both lived in Belgium at the time). That was a great lunch. Then I got home and found out that my professors (classes start tomorrow) had finally posted their syllabi (i hate that word, syllabus is okay though) and I had a ton of reading to get through by Tuesday. Yay for WebCT.

Saturday started out by heading up to UMD to buy the books I needed to read. Of course even though I reserved the books ahead of time, the main book I needed was no longer there. Hopefully I'm not the only one in that situation. Then Matt and I went to Guitar Center where he tried out every single guitar in the store... none were good enough though. I spent my time checking out some sound equipment and practicing the correct way to roll up cords (I did find one dead cable in the process... I was so proud of myself for figuring that out), unfortunately I dont think I understand how to do it... I have the hardest time with spatial things, oh well. We spent a long time there, a very long time. Despite being music oriented, Guitar Center is not my favorite place.

On Sunday I did the usual church thing... 9:15 with the band (plus new singers... exciting!) 10:30 with the choir (and for the first time ever there were more guys than girls). Then we had a band planning meeting that was very productive and lasted only an hour (which has been my goal all along... usually it takes about an hour and a half though). Then I came home and did some reading for my classes... which ended up putting me to sleep. Later on, our friend Mike came over to do some recording with Matt. And the 3 of us went out to dinner.

Today I did a lot of reading... lots and lots and lots. I also helped matt in the garage. That's turned into a bigger project than I thought it would be. But today we primed the walls. I consider this the first visible step of progress. I'm glad the garage is the first room we decided to tackle, we can get all our mistakes... I mean, learning... taken care of in a room that gross and dirty all the time anyway. I also made the mistake of running errands around lunch time. I think everyone in the world goes shopping on labor day. I just had to get a few essentials (more primer, some school supplies, food) and it took forever. I cant wait for school to start back up so I dont have to fight screaming children in every store I go to during the week. And then I taught a piano lesson in the afternoon, which just makes me (kinda) dread the start of school because it means I go back to teaching full force. I dont know how I'm going to balance all of it. Then for dinner I made steak tacos and organic corn, one of matt's favorites. Actually the tacos are one of his favorites, the organic corn was a result of all chemically-engineered corn being sold out at Giant today. I couldnt really tell the difference, except I think this corn was more expensive.

Now I'm getting ready to go to bed. My goal was to be in bed by 11 and I think I'll actually make it. I know I'll have no problem falling asleep as soon as I get there. Tomorrow I start Fall Semester. Which means I leave the house at 6am, have 3 classes (that last 3 hours a piece) and get home around 9pm. Man what a day. I'm kinda split as to how I feel about it...
  • sucks, I hate getting up early. I think this schedule is going to force me to go back on coffee
  • yay, I get to see my friend Melissa again! thank god for her, I think I'd die of boredom otherwise :)
  • sucks, all the work, all the driving, all the sitting in uncomfortable chairs
  • yay, it's going to feel like real school
  • yay, I get to be out of the house doing something real again
  • sucks, I dont really know what i'm getting myself into
So I think this weekend was a little hint of what's to come as far as time management is concerned. I'm sure I'll keep myself busy over the next few months, but I dont mind, it's far better than doing nothing and being stuck at home all day.

Alright, well I better get going so I can make my 11:00 bedtime.

Comments