Meme

I've been tagged by Tom. Orignally this started out as a Book Meme, but since I dont read a whole lot I had a tough time answering these questions. So I decided that since music has had such a big effect on my life, I'd change it up a little... and who's going to stop me? So here's the Book Meme with a twist.


1. One album that changed your life: hmm... just one... that's hard... Well one song in particular that changed me was Bob Dylan's The Hurricane. This was my "gateway" song into Bob Dylan. The anger, energy, and conviction in the song opened my eyes to the amount of power a good songwriter should have. It doesnt even matter that Dylan's voice is barely tolerable, I couldnt stop listening to this song. Now I'm a full fledged Dylan junkie. (maybe not as much as other people, but more than I ever thought I'd be). But this has shown me that good music is about more than fast notes, difficult passages, and how pretty it is.

2. One album that you’ve listened to more than once: Okay this question doesnt translate well from the orginial book question because it would hopefully cover every single CD I own. But I'm going to choose The Bends by Radiohead because it definitely needs to be listened to in its entirety (which I think is why they haven't allowed their music to be on iTunes). I highly recommend it.

3. One album you'd want on a desert island: The very best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions. If I were on a desert island I'd probably be depressed and unmotivated so I'd want a CD that had the opposite effect on me. I can't sit still when I listen Pump It Up. Oh and I love the last song on this album, even though it is slightly crazy, it's so good.

4. One album that made you laugh: I'm gonna go with a Mitch Hedberg comedy album... Mitch All Together. One of the very few comedy albums I'll actually listen to (multiple times even, that's how funny it is).

5. One album that made you cry: the Jars of Clay self title debute I suppose.

6. One album you wish had been written: Maybe I'll do one someday. Actually something I'd love to do is arrange and orchestrate simple piano works for small ensembles. Kinda similar to what Ravel did with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, on a smaller scale.

7. One album you wish had never been written: Well I could probably go without a lot of 80s hair band music and country music in general, but if I have to pick one, I'd say whatever album Living Color's Cult of Personality is on (I absolutely hate that song).

8. One album you’re currently listening to: Lately I havent been able to get enough of System of A Down. Though I've been listening to my own mix of a few songs from Toxicity and Mezmerize.

9. One album you’ve been meaning to check out: Radiohead's Pablo Honey. Mike's been letting us borrow but I keep forgetting to listen to it. So today I'm going to change that...

10. Tag 5 others: I dont like tagging people. But if you want to give this a try, go ahead.

Comments

Tom said…
I love the change. I went through reading the post and typing the names into MusicMatch so I can listen. That's a LOT easier than finding each book and reading it.

Thanks!