Countdown to Class

I'm back. Ready to rejoin the blogging world after my little break. You know, sometimes blogging just seems more like a chore than it should be. So at that point, I take a break until it's something I want to do again.

I realized this morning that I have less than a week before classes start. Less than a week until I'm officially a graduate student. I'm excited and kinda nervous at the same time. Luckily at orientation I met a girl who will be in both of my summer classes, so at least I dont have to worry about not knowing people the first day of class. That's always the worst. Although it was much worse in elementary and high school. At least now I dont have to worry about finding someone to eat lunch with on the first day of school. Ugh. That was always the single worst moment of moving. Unfortunately since I moved nearly every school year that sensation, through the transitive property, is now the sensation I associate with any first day of anything... school, work, whatever. But I'm trying to stay positive. I'm sure once I'm in class I'll be fine. Until then, I'll have butterflies in my stomach. I also still need to buy books and get my student ID, though at this point I think it just makes sense to wait until the first day of class to do that. Otherwise I have to make a 3 hour (roundtrip) drive for it. Which I'm just not up to at the moment. But maybe I'll make myself go on Friday. We'll see.

And two weeks ago I finally had enough courage (and knew enough about my upcoming schedule) to tell my piano students all my new life plans. I waited until then because I wanted to be able to tell them exactly when I'd be able to teach, and how much I'd be able to work. But I think I also waited because I dreaded what would happen after they all found out about my plans to go back to school and do something more than just teach piano lessons with my life. I thought I would get a lot of complaints about abandoning students, not being able to continue, and the problems of bumping piano lessons down a rung on my Grand Ladder of Priorities. But it was handled way better than I expected. Everyone is more than willing to work with my new schedule even if it inconviences them a little bit, I guess I'm worth it :) But I just have to make sure that I'm not getting into more than I can handle. I was actually hoping a couple students would opt to change teachers (not that I dont like my students). Going to school full time and working 2 part time jobs (probably about 25 hours a week total) seems reasonable to me as of now, hopefully I'll be able to keep my sanity. When I was an undergrad I learned the importance of prioritizing commitments and taking on too much the hard way. But in all honest I'm ready for life to be more of a challenge again.

On to a totally different subject...

Matt and I finally started cleaning out our "Monica's Closet" yesterday. Let me explain Monica's Closet. I took the term from a Friends episode.... In Monica's apartment there is a door in the very back next to the bathroom that was never really addressed except for in one episode where Chandler decides to find out what's in there. Of course when he discovers that it's locked, he gets more interested. Eventually he gets in and when he opens the door, he sees it crammed with all kinds of random junk. And since Monica is very organized and neat, it seems very out of character for her. But she rationalizes it by saying that she is SO neat and SO organized that everything in the closet is in there because it didnt have a proper place anywhere else in the apartment. Well that's what we were using the 3rd bedroom of our house for. It orginally started out as a recording studio for matt, then became a painting studio, then became the "it doesnt go anywhere else, so I'll just throw it in here" room... aka Monica's Closet. Ahh, we're such Friends Junkies. But now we're turning it back into a music room so matt can get back into recording and we can have a functioning room again. Yesterday we cleaned out the dozens of canvases that were in there (I was amazed at how many there were) and now we're trying to find places for all the "place-less objects" we had to clean out. I'll feel much better once it's all clean. In fact, now that I can see the floor, I am probably going to vaccuum the room for the first time ever as soon as I'm done here. Yay. One project down, seventeen thousand to go.

I feel like I'm starting to turn into a real homeowner. You know the never ending list of improvements and projects. It seems like I add to that list far more often than I cross things off of it. My dad has tried to warn me about this (since I consult him whenever I do any kind of house stuff), but I think it just comes with the territory. Plus it gives me something to do with my days. Of course I'm sure that will all change next week. But I am having a small dinner party for some of my friends from college the first week of July, so I'm using that as a deadline to get the majority of things done. Oh and my painter just stopped by to give me an esitmate on replacing our front door... looks like that's another thing I'll be able to cross off the list in about a week! yay.

Alright, I'm off to vaccuum. Arent you glad I've come back to the blogging world to share all my fascinating stories.

Comments