Transposing Machine

I have done more transposing of music since graduating from school then I ever did while I was in school. Seriously, all music needs to come with a magical transposing button... and while it's magical, I'd also like it to be able to know automatically what key I need the song to be in so that people can sing and play it with ease. I dont even want it to have to read my mind to know which key that is, that would still require me to figure it out. I want the magical button to do that work for me.

Now some music I come across on the computer does have a transposing tool, which usually works semi-good. But it would be nice there is a song in they key of "A", and I want to kick up a mere half step, would end up in "Bb" instead of "A#" (seriously Bb has only 2 flats... A#, while the same note enharmonically, has 10 sharps!!! TEN!! Well, technically 7 sharps and 3 double sharps. 3 DOUBLE sharps!!! Why would anyone want to read that? And why on earth would I want to move from A to 3 double sharps? Seriously people.) Instead I have to drop it down a major 7th (which puts the melody in a ridiculously low range) and then back up an octave and pray that things end up where I want them. They usually dont and I end up having to do it manually anyway.

What I really want is Sibelius and their music scanning software. Then I can just scan in any piece of music and manipulate it however I want. Unforunately I'm pretty sure this still doesnt work with lyric-tab sheets. Ugh.

Transposing is the most tedious thing EVER.

Okay, time to get back to work.

Comments