Snowy Weekend

Yay!! It finally snowed!! Of course it would happen the one weekend we were out of town. We went down to Harrisonburg for a parish retreat on Friday. It started off a little rough; especially when matt found out there were no TVs in the room, and there ended up being a big youth meeting in the room immediately below us that night (tons of kids screaming and running around all night long). But I think we got some good stuff out of it... we had some good converstaions with people we hadnt talked with before, and with people we hadnt been able to talk with in a while. And we got to talk to each other a lot about our future plans.

Saturday it started to snow! Yay. We had been waiting for a good snowstorm for a long time. The majority of the day was spent listening to talks. Then we had some free time in the afternoon. I took a little while to try to learn how to crochet. I decided about a week ago that I wanted a new hobby, that would be pretty easy to learn, but that would actually produce something when you were done. So I bought a crochet kit the day before we left. I think I've mastered the starting row, but after that, I have no clue what I'm doing. i think I'm following the directions perfectly, but every row gets shorter and short and shorter, and eventually I'm left with one big knot. So I know something isnt going the way it's supposed to. I think I might try to get thicker yarn and a bigger needle to see if larger proportions will make it easier to see what I am doing. I dont want to become a professional knitter or anything, i just want to learn how to make scarves, and maybe blankets, but nothing really too intricate. Just something to keep my hands busy when I'm bored, or watching TV.

Eventually we decided to come home early. The snow wasnt really letting up, and we wanted to beat the Sunday "I'm going home from vacation" traffic. I HATE driving in snow, but matt grew up in new england and upstate new york, so it really wasnt a big deal for him. So we headed home Saturday night. It wasnt the best of conditions, but the few cars that were on the road drove pretty slowly. We only saw 2 accidents and they were on the other side of the road. Matt didnt even slip at all until we were all the way back in leesburg and he hit a little ice patch.

The next morning we went and picked up our dog from the kennel (another perk of coming home early, we saved 1 day of fees at the kennel, which is pretty significant since we make sure they spoil her). She was SO happy to see us. Usually she's in such a hurry to get out of there that she doesnt even pay attention to who is picking her up, she just heads straight for the exit. But she actually jumped up on me and Matt when she saw us. It was cute. But the cutest thing is when we got home and let her out in the backyard to run around in the 12 inches of snow. She absolutely loves the snow. She has these 2 "snow moves" she does whenever it snows, one is... she attacks the snow. She'll crouch down and then for what seems like no reason, she'll just pounce onto a patch of snow and eat some of it. The other move is she'll flip on her back and squirm around in the snow for a little while. Anyway, whenever either of these moves is over, she stands back up with the happiest face ever. But I think this snow was actually too deep for her. She couldnt even really walk in it very well, instead she had to kind of hop-run. This was pretty entertaining, but it must have been tiring for her (along with having been in a noisy kennel for the past 2 nights) because when she came back in, she fell asleep immediately.

So we spent most of yesterday alternating between tv, computers, crocheting, and taking the dog out in short spurts to play in the snow. I think that snow puts all of us in an automatic good mood, so even though it doesnt sound like anything too exciting, it was a pretty good day... and overall a pretty good weekend.

Comments