Eight Below versus Rent

My husband and I watched 2 movies this weekend. On Friday night we headed to the old, small theater a couple blocks away and saw Eight Below, and then on Sunday we curled up on the couch and watched Rent while each working on our own projects (him- computer stuff, me- photo album). Here are my thoughts on each movie...

(SPOILER WARNING: I may reveal information in this entry that could possibly spoil some of these movies if you havent seen them... in the case of Rent, I'm probably doing you a favor)

Eight Below. This was the first time seeing a movie in the theater since... since... hmm... I cant even remember when. I mean it wasnt that long ago, we just dont bother to see movies in the theater anymore. So it takes something special to actually make us go see it in the theater. And what's so special about Eight Below (especially for a couple of non-seven year olds)? Well it's about huskies, and we have a husky. That's what's special. Overall I thought it was a decent movie, not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but entertaining and touching. Though I have to admit that if I didnt have a dog, I probably wouldnt have cared as much. But I enjoyed seeing these dogs interacting with each other and the climate they were in. What shocked me was how long they were left to survive on their own in Antartica (I lost track after 170 days). I mean, I saw the March of the Penguins, and those birds were freezing to death... I was surprised that the cold didnt seem to be much of a factor to the dogs (who slept seperately buried in a blanket of snow--even before they were left behind... I at least thought they would have bundled together for warmth.) But the dogs mannerisms were very similiar to my own dogs, and that made the movie cute to me. One of my favorite scenes was when the dogs were attempting to attack the flock of birds, and as they got near, the birds of course flew away so the dogs had to pick them off in the air... my dog's done that. And the ending was touching. One thing I took away from the movie: Knowing that huskies can survive on there own for over 170 days in Antartica makes me feel much better about leaving Eve alone in a nice warm home with plenty of food for a few hours. She is so spoiled.

Rent. Umm... i dont think there's any other way to put this... Rent sucked. And this is coming from someone who grew up on musicals and therefore sees nothing wrong when people in movies break into song and dance every time anything significant or insignificant happens. I thought the music was horrible, beyond awful. I mean, the singers were talented, but the songs were just BEYOND LAME. And what's up with these people complaining about being kicked out of their apartments when they havent paid over a year's rent? Seriously? Anyway, it just wasnt good. Of course it probably doesnt help that I knew it was based on La Boheme (which is my favorite opera) and was continuously comparing it to that (which by the way, there is no comparison... La Boheme is infinitely better, even if you dont like operas). It did follow the story line and feel of the opera pretty well (bohemian artists struggling to make a living, never having any money or heat, and always being sick), and even included a few "musical quotes" from La Boheme, but then came the ending... Mimi dies and then out of nowhere comes back to life????? what the crap? Mimi is just supposed to die, and it's supposed to be tragic. There's no need for a sugar-coated ending or "psyche, just kidding" moment. Anyway, when I think about it, it's actually pretty appropriate... a crappy ending to a crappy broadway show that was made into a crappy movie. If you were thinking about seeing Rent--dont. Go see La Boheme instead.

So there are my reviews. I think it's pretty obvious who wins this contest.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think the last movie we saw was Wedding Crashers.