Non-Pop Music

I absolutely love classical music. (I use the word classical here to refer to non-pop music... just like I use the term pop music to refer to non-classical music. Classical music really refers to a specific period of time --which Mozart is part of but Tchaikovsky is not-- but most people dont use the word in that sense). However, I am pretty picky when it comes to what classical music I love.

1. Beethoven- I am definitely in the majority here. I have yet to meet someone who is like "eh, I dont care for Beethoven," and if anyone does say that, they dont know what they are talking about (and most likely they listen to country music... haha). The unfortunate thing about Beethoven is that since his music is so great it tends to be overplayed. I mean, everyone knows the 5th symphony (da da da DAAAH), but my favorite part of the 5th symphony is actually the 2nd movement, which very very few people know. I had never even heard it until a few years ago, but I instantly fell in love with it. If you are a typical Beethoven fan and you havent heard it, DEFINITELY check it out as soon as possible. As far as his piano music goes, it's wonderful. Lots of emotion, melody, rich harmony.... etc etc. But personally I dont really enjoying playing Beethoven too much. My theory is that his music has so much emotion built into the notes, that it doesnt leave much room for me to put some of my own emotion into it. That and the fact that Beethoven is overplayed, and I like to explore other music. Such as...

2. Debussy- Debussy is my all time favorite piano composer. Now I know that most people would except a pianist to say that about someone like Chopin. But in all honesty I am sick to death beyond words of Chopin. His music is great... but spend a few years playing piano in college and I bet you wont ever be able to listen to it either. It's unfortunate, but true. Hopefully one day I'll be able to listen to it again without tired ears. But anyway, Debussy's music is awesome. This is what I played throughout college instead of Chopin, and I'm so glad I did. Debussy created very simple sounding songs (which, by the way, are very not-simple to play), but the harmonies are what draw me to it... that and the fact that I can hold down the pedal through an entire page without changing it (12 different chords on 1 pedal... not a problem-- the problem is that I've started playing Bach the same way... but please dont tell anyone that). Anyway, my favorite Debussy piece is the Sunken Cathedral (which I wrote a whole post on a while ago), another favorite is Reverie (which I am currently learning).

Some other favorites:
  • Shostakovich-- Trio op. 67: I listened to it for like 3 months straight, and there is a very basic beginner piano Waltz in A minor that I teach a lot, that is just hauntingly beautiful
  • Stravinsky-- What would life be like without Rite of Spring and Firebird?
  • Faure-- his Requiem is awesome. I sang this in a concert in college, and my friend and I both got a recording afterwards (not of our choir). We used to blast it in the car with the windows down, the bass cranked up, and belt it out. We're awesome. I also LOVE the Pavanne. I wanted to walk down the aisle to this, but I think it's a little too melancholy for what most people expect of a wedding, oh well.
  • Samuel Barber-- Adagio for Strings. Listen to it.
  • Satie-- Any piano piece, especially the Gymnopedies (listen to all 3 everytime). I love Satie, he's starting to replace my Debussy obsession.
  • Mozart-- I gotta be honest, i',m not big on Mozart. What i do like is playing slow movements of his piano sonatas. They have really taught me how you are supposed to shape a melody. But I also really like his 40th Symphony (i think that's the right number.. i"m awful with numbers).
  • Puccini-- La Boheme. I havent ever seen Rent, but it's pretty much based on La Boheme. and judging from that "525,600 Minutes" song, I'd have to say La Boheme has much better music. Any Puccini opera is absolutely beautiful though (not that I've heard them all, but I feel confident saying it anyway).

So that should give some good insight into my style. I'm not really into fast and showy music. In fact I really prefer the opposite. I love it when a song moves slow enough taht you can really absorb every single note that is played. And I definitely prefer music that has substance over flash (if you want a good combination of both, listen to Listz). I also like anything with a lot of dissonance (consonance is BORING). If you feel the same, I'd suggest some of the songs I've mentioned above, they are just a very few of some of my favorites. And if you know of anything I didnt mention, feel free to suggest it to me!

note: notice i didnt include any Baroque music. That is largely due to the fact that I dont really like it. In fact the only time I can really listen to Baroque music is Christmas time (dont ask). But one of my favorites is: Wachet Auf by Bach (it jsut happens to be a Christmas-y song too).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Does Holst's The Planet's count?