More artsy quotes

I wish I had heard more of this stuff earlier.

Picasso~
Why should I try to imitate nature? I might just as well try to trace the perfect circle.

Mondrian~
If objective vision were possible, it would give us a true image of reality.

Leger~
The feat of superbly imitating a muscle, as Michelangelo did, or a face, as Raphael did, created neither progress nor heirarchy in art. Because these artists of the 16th century imitated human forms, they were not superior to the artists of the high periods of Egyptian, Chaldean, Indochinese, Roman, and Gothic art who interpreted and stylized form but did not imitate it.On the contrary, art consists of inventing and not copying.Art must be free in its inventiveness, it must raise us above too much reality.

Duchamp~
I was aware at that time that, for the spectator more than for the artist, art is a habit forming drug

Francis Bacon~
Any work that I like does the same to me-- it makes me see other things. It makes me aware of reality, although it may not be very realistic in itself. I can only put it that way-- that it unlocks the valves of sensation.

Comments