Arsty Ideas

Okay, I'm not a very artsy person... but I think i've been coming up with some great ideas lately. And if I were artsty enough to pull them off, I totally would.

Arsty Idea #1: If I were a painter, here's an idea for something I could do with my paintings. I would hire a bunch of people and take them to an art museum. Next I would give each person one of my paintings along with a harness so they could strap it to their back. I would then instruct each person to find a blank spot on a wall and stand against it. This way my paintings could be veiwed by all the museum-goers, and I dont think I'd be doing anything wrong. It's not like I'm hanging my artwork up on their walls. It's merely normal people who happen to have a painting strapped to their back.

Arsty Idea #2: Lately I've been reading a lot about Minimalism (which I love). And one of the things I've learned is that the title of minimalist artwork is often times just as important as the work itself. For instance, the title should not make any references to the outside world. Which is why many of them are titled Untitled No. 1, or Red and Black and Blue, or Abstract No 1, etc. So i was thinking... if I really wanted to live the true Minimalist lifestyle (which I dont), does that mean I'd have to name my kids in the same fashion? Girl No. 1, Boy No. 3 or Unnamed No. 1, or I just wouldnt be able to name them at all. Do you have to name your child? What if you refuse? Will someone just randomly assign a name to your child whether you like it or not? Not that I'm planning on doing any of these things, but it was just something I thought about.

Arsty Idea #3: Paint the same image over and over and over. Pick some sort of simple image... say a black square, and then reproduce it (without any aid of taping the canvas or using a ruler), trying my hardest to get each painting to be exactly alike. Same colors, same size, same brushstrokes. Would I ever be able to produce 2 identical paintings? Then after doing this for several years I would need to have an exhibit. In which I would fill the entire gallery with what seems to be the same painting over and over again, but in reality each one would be unique. It could be a study in the striving for perfection, or innate flaws, or innate uniqueness.

So those are some of my ideas. I wanted to write them down before I forget them.

Comments