Hirschhorn

Just sitting down with my morning cup of coffee, which I have to drink black because I think the milk is starting to spoil. I've become somewhat of a milk snob after all my years working at starbucks. As soon as I can detect any sort of "milk smell" it's undrinkable. Though other people dont seem to be as sensitive. I seem to have made the coffee unusually strong today.

I'll probably spend the first half of the day cleaning the house and organizing clutter, as usual. I never realized how much time cleaning consumes. I'm just glad we havent reached Mow-the-Lawn season yet. Our yard is small enough that we didnt think it was necessary to buy a lawn mower. Instead my dad gave us an old fashioned mower (you push it and the blades rotate), which really just pushes the grass down more than it cuts anything. Then we got a weed wacker, which does most of the work for us. But man, I cant stand yard work.

We went into DC last weekend to go to the Hirschhorn (one of my FAVE museums). We hadnt been to an art museum in so long that I was going through withdrawal. I love the Hirschhorn though. I think one of my favorite things about it is the fountain in the middle. It looks like a normal fountain in the middle of a circular pool, except that the fountain is off-centered. And that's what I love about it. Unfortunately, it wasnt turned on when we got there. I know it was technically still winter, but it was so nice on Saturday. I have to admit, I was disappointed.

Since it had been so long since our last visit, they had a bunch of new stuff up in the museum. I noticed that the Ugly Naked Guy sculpture was gone. (that's not really what it's called, but it's a fitting description). I cant say I was sad to see that go. It was disturbing, though I think that was part of the idea. Plenty of other disturbing things replaced it though, so no worries. One of my favorite paintings was also gone though :( It's an Agnes Martin painting. Luckily, they replaced with another one of her's but I LOVED the other one, and thought the new one was just OK. (I wonder if you're supposed to write this much in one entry). I was happy to see that the Joseph Albers Homage to A Square was still there. It's by far my favorite of his. I love the subtle colors. I'm glad it's at the Hirschhorn so I can see it whenever I want.

There were 2 special exhibits that we walked though. One was sculpture. I have to admit, I dont really get modern sculpture. I mean there are a few things I like, but overall, i'm kinda perplexed. Though there was one thing I liked in the exhibit. It was a very simple ring that looked like it was made from a very polished pinkish marble (i am no expert, believe me). But other than that, i didnt see anything that made an impression. The other exhibit was pretty interesting because of how the art was made. I think basically the artist put gun powder on a canvas and then ignites it and the residue leaves an image behind. There was a really cool one that looked like a spider web. I wonder how he came up with the idea to do that.

I suppose i should be done for now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the new artwork at the Hirschhorn in which as you walk past it. It seems like it is vibrating.