2014 in Review

My blogging New Years tradition...  


1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?Okay, these are almost all going to be running related... Ran my first half marathon, ran a mile in under 8:30, ran a 5k in under 30 mins.  And I had my first lobster roll.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I kept them as best as I could.  And even the ones that I "broke" still had an overall positive impact on me, which is all I can really ask for.  Yes, I am making resolutions for this year.  Apparently a lot, I think I need to scale back so I don't get in over my head.  Basically these are the big ones:  1- complete my Project 52, 2- continue to run 50 miles a month, 3- stop stressing out about having a super clean house.  Then there are lots of little sub goals like: run a mile in under 8 minutes, run a sub 1 hour 10k, do another half marathon, save up for a full frame camera (I've got my heart set on the Nikon Df but I just cant justify the cost at this point), eat more salads, actually wear my flouride trays at night (thanks crappy teeth), and on and on.....  we'll see how things go.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few of my friends had babies and my aunt Maureen had her second (last year she had her first)...  and my sister's going to have a baby soon!  I can't wait to finally be an AUNT!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
no

5. Where did you visit?
Hampton Beach in New Hampshire over the summer, and Orlando in the fall.  We came about 5 miles short of having driven up and down all the entire east coast states from New Hampshire to Florida this year.  We tried to go to Maine but a really, really bad rain storm and thick fog cut us about 10 miles shy.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
After 2 week long 12+ hours of driving each way trips with the kids (which were fun, but not very relaxing) I think it would be nice if Matt and I could manage a little kid-free getaway.

7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably the 2 weeks of vacations we took.  Lots of good family memories.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Meeting so many of my running goals :)

9. What was your biggest failure of the year?


Not finishing my photography 365 Project.  I think I bit off more than I could chew though.  So I'm giving it another shot, only this time I'm doing a Project 52 instead (one photo a week).  Not finishing my push-up a day challenge.  Although I quit that because it was hurting my back too much... which I took as a sign that I need to do some overall strength work, and I have been.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
nothing too note worthy

11. What was the best thing you bought?
running gloves (soooo much better), a wide angle camera lens,

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Dylan's... because of how excited he is by everything he's learning.  It's fun having another reader in the house!

14. Where did most of your money go?
house, food, kids

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
our vacations, it was so nice to spend time together as a family.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Probably Everything is Awesome from the Lego Movie.  Which we watched everyday for months after it came out... and it's the first song Aaron sang.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder?: happier
ii. Thinner or Fatter than last year?: um, I weigh a little more, but I'm thinner....
iii. Richer or Poorer?: richer in all the ways that matter.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I think I did a good job of doing the things I enjoy spending my time doing.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
waste time

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
At home with the family.  Janet and Joe came over for a little bit in the morning.  Then my brother  came over for dinner.  And the kids opened every single new toy.  I also read an entire book by 10am (thanks Sarah!)

24. What was your favorite TV program?
WALKING DEAD.  otherwise I hardly watched TV this year

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
no

26. What was the best book you read?
Oh my goodness, I read so many books this year... like close to 3 a week (amazing how much reading you can do when you stop watching tv. it also helps that I mostly read YA books, which tend to be quick).  My favorites: Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Running and Being by George Sheehan, and the Throne of Glass books by Sarah J Maas, and then just before the year ended The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Long Run Distances by Matthew Inman (of The Oatmeal)


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I really like the Milk Carton Kids, especially the song Michigan.  And the new Conor Oberst "Upside Down Mountain" album is one of my favorite from the year.  And they both have fabulous Tiny Desk concerts: 
Milk Carton Kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0xjVzmKxY 
Conor Oberst:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfTCmwgIbY

28. What did you want and get?
A wide angle lens, running gloves.


29. What did you want and not get?

a weekend all by myself.  probably won't happen for a really really long time

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I actually went to the movies this year a couple times... I think the best one I saw in the theater was Guardians of the Galaxy.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Matt and I left the kids with my in-laws for the night and had a nice dinner out, and in the morning saw a movie.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
if only I could have gone cross country skiing at some point

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
I didn't really try much this year... mostly I wore comfortable house clothes and workout clothes, and if I was going to see people I'd put on jeans and sweater or something.

34. What kept you sane?

Running, photography, reading, yoga 

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014?
TV is overrated.  Also, that running helps me connect with myself, and photography helps me connect with the world.  They work well together, for me, anyway.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Pretty much just listen to the Conor Oberst album :)

Comments