New Job

Today was my official first day at the National Gallery (I went through processing on Monday). It was great. I think I'm really gonna like working there. And I have to say, I'm SO glad I took LBSC670 (Information Structure) this semester because I'm gonna have to use pretty much everything I learned there for this job.

670 (as it is referred to by us library students) most deals with the "back-end" of information. As in how to make it accessible rather than how to access it. Mostly we learned about ways to organize information, including various principles and standards used in the library world (AACR2, MARC, LC Authority Files, Dewey and Library of Congress classification schemes). The class was very difficult (the teacher was an EXTREMELY hard grader... but that just forced me to really learn everything) I really enjoyed it. I learned all kinds of new ways to organize things, which I think will end up making me OCD.

Anyway, I'm excited about my new job. I think it's a good fit for me because pretty much I just organize things all day. And I feel so grown up and professional because I'm commuting into DC and working on the Mall, right next to the capitol building. Yay!

*interesting note about the East Building of the National Gallery of Art... at least in the study room/admin section... there are no right angles where walls meet, including the elevators. Oh and there are barcelona chairs all over the place (my favorite).

Comments