The Case of the Missing Mailbox

I just took my dog out for a short walk. I figured we'd walk around the townhouse and check the mailbox. So we headed off on our routine mail-check walk... and as we approached the mailbox I took my keys out so I could be ready to get the mail as quickly as possible (my dog has a hard time standing still when we are outside). As I lifted my hand to put the key in the mailbox I realized... the mailbox is missing! The whole entire box for our street is gone. For about two seconds I was completely perplexed (and wondered if i was losing my mind). My first thought was "isnt this where the mailbox should be? am I in the wrong place?" But then I looked down at the ground and saw four long screws sticking up where the mailbox should have been, so then I figure that it's not a matter of me being in the wrong place, instead it must have something to do with the removal of the mailbox. This whole time I was still standing with my hand up as if I were unlocking the imaginary box (probably looking like an idiot... a very confused idiot at that), a lady happened to be walking out to her car close by. She probably saw me in my state of confusion and was kind enough to explain the situation. Apparently someone ran into the mail box this afternoon and damaged the base, so they had to remove it and it should be replaced shortly. At the time the situation struck me as interestingly bizarre. Now after writing about it, it seems pretty mundane.

ps- How do I get my mail?

Comments