Project 52: Week 8

50mm, ISO 100, f/16, 10 sec ss.
Week 8: Candy Cane

I took this a few days before Christmas.  My brother had just given me a nice piece of black velvet to use for a backdrop and I wanted to test it out.  It is so much easier than the not-quite- black and too textured towel I had been using, which then needed a lot of help in photoshop to make actually black.  The candy cane was a tough subject because I kept getting blown highlights where ever the light hit it so I tried to make a tent with the velvet and let in as little and as diffused day light as possible (hence the long exposure).  And then I used photoshop to convert this to b&w with an infrared filter to get the reds nice and dark.  Overall it was a fun experiment, but for now I'm going to stay away from shiny, reflective objects.

Comments