Farewell to 2013

My annual end of the year survey, better late than never.  I cut out some of the more repetitive questions, or the ones that don't really change from year to year (still no one night stands, dont anticipate that changing any time soon), so the numbers don't necessarily go in order.

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?

Started taking pictures in manual mode, Ran a 9 minute mile, went into the winner's circle at Saratoga


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't keep them 100% as intended, but I did a decent job.  I started running and stuck with it. I tried to join the local photography club (I went twice), but it was really intimidating, so instead I made the effort to learn more on my own, ending the year with a real class.  But I failed at keeping up with laundry.  Oh well.  This year I have a few resolutions, most of them have to do with finding a better balance in various areas of life:  family, housework, hobbies, and exercising

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My Aunt Maureen had her first :)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
no.

5. Where did you visit?
Not a lot of traveling this year.  I went up to Saratoga with the kids over the summer, I think that was about it.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Better balance in my life


7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sarah's wedding :)



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting Aaron to sleep through the night (at 16 months old), all my running goals


9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
Hurting myself and not being able to do the Leesburg 20k.



10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes and yes.  Strep throat, mastitis, (2 rounds of antibiotics in 1 year after not having to take them for as long as I can remember), bad hip and knee from running.  Though I did manage to avoid the stomach bug the rest of my family got in the Spring, so I guess it could have been worse.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
extension tubes for close up photos :)


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Dylan's for doing so well when he started kindergarten :) Sarah for finishing her master's program, Rebecca for finishing high school


14. Where did most of your money go?
Kids, House, Food, photo stuff

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Sarah's wedding :)  All my photography stuff


16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
All These Things That I've Done by the Killers.  It was my running anthem this year.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder?: happier
ii. Thinner or Fatter than last year?: thinner!  I lost 30 pounds.  granted most of that was lingering baby weight, but I worked hard for each pound.  And I'm back to my pre-grad school weight now.  woo!
iii. Richer or Poorer?: richer, I guess


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Like last year I"m going to say sleep.


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
change poopy diapers (Aaron has like 3-5 a day still)


20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it with our families.  Kids in the morning opening gifts, in-laws came over for a little while, then dinner at my parent's house with all the Waldron family.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Probably the Mindy Project, I am increasingly becoming one of those people who doesn't watch much TV.


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
no


26. What was the best book you read?
hmmm....  not sure, I read a ton.  I really liked a lot of the YA books I read this year, Shatter Me, Cinder, the end of the Divergent series, The Absolute True Diary of a Part Time Indian, to name a few


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

crap, I dont think I had any amazing discoveries this year.  I'm in a music funk.


28. What did you want and get?
Extension tubes, a running watch, new boots, the main level of the house repainted


29. What did you want and not get?
HOnestly I think I got everything I could realistically get... of course there's always more to want, but I'm trying to focus on enjoying and making hte most of what I have.


30. What was your favorite film of this year?
huh, I didn't watch too many new movies this year.  And most of the new one's I did see were more for Dylan or Matt.  So I guess Iron Man 3 and Cloudy with Meatballs 2... mostly because I think those were the only new movies I even saw.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32... here's my blog post from my birthday


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A full 10 hours of sleep every night so that I could function better and not be so crabby all the time.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Make an effort.  I started wearing jewelry again which kind of pushed me into trying to look some what more presentable.  Not that I'm stylish by any means, but I don't want to be frumpy all the time either.


34. What kept you sane?
Running.  Helped so much physically and mentally



39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013?
That I am capable of being stronger than I thought.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

And when there's no where else to run, is there room for one more [run]" The Killers song, I changed the last word from son to run even though it's repetitive, because it is more motivating

Comments