The Trouble With Editing Photos Is...

I can't make up my mind!  Too many choices and options and small nuances.


Here's an example:
 
This is straight out of the camera.  It's admittedly a little on the dark side, but I still like it.

This is what I would consider a fairly straight forward edit.  I didn't really do much other than brighten it a bit, sharpen, and add a little more color so it's not so drab.

Noticeably edited.  Bright colors, and a warmer tone overall.  Not really the direction I initially wanted to go in, but it kind of works for a different concept.

A B&W conversion.  This is more of what I had in mind.  I wish I could have gotten the highlights on the tree branches in the foreground a little brighter to show more of the trees' texture without making the fog too bright, but I couldn't figure that out.  

Oh and just for some more fun, here's an infrared conversion.  I wish I could do infrared on my camera, but I think I have to physically have to alter the camera to do that, so I don't see that happening any time soon.  For now I'll just play with the filter in photoshop.  I also cropped this in tighter, which I think works for this.
 So my problem is...  Well first off, I really need to learn how to edit properly.  As of now I just click a bunch of options, slide things until they look "right" and call it a day.  But also, I think that once I start editing again I'm going to have to force myself to be more intentional about what I want the end result to be.  And I'm definitely still trying to figure that out.

Also, my apologies to the people who have been reading my blog for a long time and are now subjected to nonstop photos.  I'll try to get back to other subjects again soon :)

Comments

Unknown said…
I really like this photo!! The fence line is great and I love the fog...I also think you edited them (it) good...I like the third one because the colors are a little bit more vibrant...b&w is also nice...I felt the same about editing but when you do it every day you get used to it...suddenly you realize that you know what you want and what you have to do:) I'm using Lightroom for editing...I think it's great for photographers because it's so specific...
Oh, I almost forgot...I like your other photos too! It's nice to see how you've improved your skills!!!