Weather swap outs

I'm a big fan of different seasons.  Each has it's unique identity, it's pros and cons.  We are finally out of the cold weather months and heading into warm and eventually hot weather.  But it's not just which clothes we put on that is affected by the seasons... I've come to realize that seasonal changes affect many facets of our lives.

Clothes of course.  I'm currently switching out my winter and summer wardrobes.  Bonus:  I am pulling out my pre-baby summer clothes and laughing at how enormous my shorts from last summer are!  I like swapping out my closet every 6 months because I can't stand to have lots of clothes to sift through in the morning when I'm getting dressed.  The smaller my wardrobe, the happier I am.  Though I still need to work on having a good wardrobe, but that's a different issue.

Music:  The next big shift I notice this time of year.  Time to put away classical, indie rock, and mellow laid back stuff.  Time to pull out poppy, happy, bouncy, stuff.  Gotta match the sunshine-iness outside!

Food:  Less warm, filling comfort food.  More fresh, light seasonally ripe food.  Also, I cook with thyme alot in the winter, but dill is my favorite summer time herb.  I just had my first egg salad with dill the other day, it was perfect!

Activities:  Okay, I was lying before this is probably the biggest shift, especially with kids.  In the winter it's all indoor stuff.  And trying to find a way to let your kids run off their crazy energy while staying indoors (moon bounces, indoor playgrounds are all good, but can be expensive).  Now it's picnics, long playground dates, baseball practice, and walks through the woods... and for Aaron it's tree watching (one of his favorite activities) and mulch chewing (which, being the mean mommy that I am, I don't allow).  And everyone is happier for it (except when I'm fishing mulch and sticks out of Aaron's mouth, then no one is happy).  I have never really been an "outdoorsy" type, but you don't really get that option with small children.  For the sake of my sanity we need to be outside as much as possible... and then some.

Housework:  The need to spring clean is strong.  But it's tough with Aaron.  I can only do so much while he naps.  So I think this year all my little clean-out projects are on hold.  The basement will just have to accrue more junk for one more year before I can purge it all away.  But we also have to start back up with yard work.  Matt does 99% of this, and he does it well (so that it looks nice without being high maintenance).  Thankfully.  I'm not sure how I'd manage to mow and weed, etc at this point.  Plus, he's talking about adding a second tier to part of the garden this year.  I'm not sure what all that means, but based on how things looked after the make over last year, I'm excited!

A few other little gripes.  I LOVE winter.  I love snow, I love bundling in sweaters and blankets.  I love that the sun goes down early (makes bedtime that much easier).  So I am sad to see it go.  But at this point, my kids need to be able to play outside.  And I'm happy that they can now.  But I HATE the bugs this time of year (especially with another brood of cicadas on the way) and the sweltering heat (because I sweat), and the fact that my children only want to sleep when it's dark (which isn't very long these days), and the allergies.  But even still I'm learning to embrace the warm months more than I ever have.  Now I'll I need is for Aaron to start walking and we are good to go.  :)

Comments