Sick Sickies Over Here

Our home has been hit by the stomach bug.  It's not pretty, it's not fun.  So far I've been spared, but I figure that's just because I'm the mom and I have to take care of everyone else while they're sick.  Then they all get better, and that's when it hits me.  That's how these things tend to work, right?  Fortunately, we are a pretty healthy family so we haven't had to do this often.  We get random colds here and there, but we haven't had anything quite like this yet.  In fact, prior to yesterday, Dylan hasn't thrown up since he was about 9 months old.   So we've bunkered down at home and have been taking it easy, watching lots of cartoons all week.

I'm not sure which sick person is worse...  There's the 11 month old who has no idea what is going on, could be in pain or aching and not able to communicate it (other than crying), and who has no way of warning you before he gets sick.  Then there's the 5 year old who knows he's sick and is as mentally upset about it as he is physically upset about it.  And still might not know how quickly he needs to get to the bathroom so he doesn't wind up puking in the middle of the living room.  And then there's the husband who, because he's got it too, wants to help take care of the kids, but is too sick to do much.  But at least he can mostly take care of himself... he can also tell me how bad it really is though.  My poor boys :(

I made this comment to a friend and it's worth repeating here...  Never have I felt more like a mom and wife than when I am taking care of my sick family.  Laundry piles, holding kids while they puke, sips of pedialyte, tylenol, blankets and pillows on the floor, hanging around in PJs, and cartoons all day...  that's what moms do.

Comments