Piano Lessons as Life Lessons

I miss playing piano.  I just don't really get the opportunity any more.  I have probably only played 3 or 4 times since Aaron was born, not counting the little bits here and there when I'm teaching my weekly lesson.  But right now, it's just too hard to work into my regular schedule for two big reasons:  1- It's hard to play when Aaron is awake, because he likes to crawl all over me, whine, and generally do his best to distract me, and 2- I can't play when he's asleep because I do NOT want to wake him up.  I have an upright piano, it's loud and there's no barrier between where the piano is and his room, other than his closed door which just isn't enough.  So I pretty much have to wait until there are no kids in the house, which doesn't happen often (I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year).  So right now I'm going through piano withdrawal.  I know it's temporary though, one happy day I'll get back into it.

While on my hiatus I have been thinking about piano quite a bit.  I mean, I have poured a good bit of my life into music and piano, so it seems only natural that my thoughts wander towards that every once and a while.  Lately I've become aware of how much my life and who I am has been shaped by my piano background.  Mostly for the better I think (the judging and performance anxiety aside).

Perhaps I'll get more into that in my upcoming posts.

Comments