2012 Year End Survey


Well I know it's been a while since I've updated anything.  But I just had to do my end of the year survey anyway.  So here we go:





My annual end of the year survey.

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
I've been trying to think of something profound that I did for the first time this year, but I honestly can't think of anything. I did some "firsts" in the kitchen though-- homemade stock comes to mind. Hopefully I'll have something more exciting for next year.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I was smart last year and didn't make any because I knew the baby would throw my life out of whack for a while... and he did.  But I need to get things back on track so I'm making a bunch for next year.  Just a few:  start back with yoga and running (exercise again), look into joining a local photo club (work on a hobby to help keep my sane), and get this laundry situation under control (house keeping).


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, me!  Aside from me a few of my friends, including Harmony and Melissa!


4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, yes, my grandpa (on dad's side)


5. Where did you visit?
We went to Pittsburgh, Saratoga Springs, Connecticut, and Massanutten this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
THis is obvious for a mother of a new baby... SLEEP!


7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Another easy answer:  May 6th because that's when Aaron was born!



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having our second child, and all that comes with it... and keeping somewhat sane too  (somewhat).


9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
I'm sure it's not technically a failure, but I pretty much ahd to let go of eerything that didn't involve taking care of the family.  Which felt like a failure.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A round of colds after Aaron was born, but otherwise we've been pretty lucky.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new DSLR camera!  I love it!


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine for surviving Aaron :)  And Dylan's for starting to learn how to read!


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A lot of the stuff involved in the political elections, and the tragedy at Sandy Hook.


14. Where did most of your money go?
House, children, food

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Aaron joining our family!

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
All of the songs on Dylan's baseball CD (Tonto, Seven Nation Army, We Will Rock You, YMcA to name a few).  We listen to it ALL the time.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder?: happier
ii. Thinner or Fatter than last year?: thinner
iii. Richer or Poorer?: richer, in so many ways


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Sleep! And kept the house cleaner, I hate having a messy home.


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Clean, but I hate having a messy home.


20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We opened gifts in the morning, then Matts parents came over for a bit.  Later in the evening we had dinner at my parents house.  It was a nice day, a little exhausting though.


22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Stayed in love


23. How many one-night stands?
0


24. What was your favorite TV program?
Daily Show and Colbert Report, Parks and Rec, Happy Endings, and Modern Family


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope


26. What was the best book you read?
Hmmm... I didnt do a whole lot of reading this year, and it's hard to remember what I did read. But I enjoyed Bitterblue, and Happier at Home.


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I dont think I found andy new artists this year, but I did like some of the new albums that came out. Especially the Jack White album and the new Ben Folds Five.

28. What did you want and get?
My new camera! (these are getting pretty repeptitive.


29. What did you want and not get?
I'm obviously thinking about sleep, but I'll throw in a different answer because I keep saying that... Maybe some extension tubes for my camera so I can take more macro shots.


30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Ummm... did I see any movies this year? I have to think about this for a while...  Okay, I think I only saw a couple new movies this year, but the best one was probably The Avengers.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 this year. We went out for a little dinner at a Chinese place in town. Nothing big.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A LOT less crying from Aaron.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Whatever happens to fit and doesn't totally smell like baby puke. Stylish, right?


34. What kept you sane?
Matt and having time alone once and a while.


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one really stands out
36.Which political issue stirred you the most?
Ugh, all of politics drive me crazy.

37. Who did you miss?
My sister Liz who moved way far away to Alabama


38. Who was the best new person you met?
some of the mom's at Dylan's preschool.


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012?
To let go of Unimportant things when



40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I went to a Conor Oberst concert in November with my sister and her fiancé... He played this song because his brother had recently had his second child, but afterwards Sarah even said something about how she was pretty sure that song was about her nephews (meaning my kids), I totally agree.

You Are Your Mother's Child by Conor Oberst
I remember the day you appeared on this earth With eyes like the ocean, got blood on my shirt
From my camera angle it looked like it hurt
But your momma had a big old smile

We drove you home, saw your yellowing skin
Packed a few things and drove you back again
Stayed up all night, worrying, wondering
What was gonna make it better

Broken bones heal if you set them right
Get your fine-toothed comb from the barber’s side
Our love’s a protective poison
But you are your mother’s child
And she’ll keep you for a while
But one day you’ll be grown, then you’ll be on your own

Halloween costume, looking real cute
With your pillow case full, in your astronaut suit
Your cousin, the cowboy, he’s eyeing your loot
Better watch your Snickers bar

Out on the diamond, you’re up to bat
Chewing your Big League, adjusting your hat
Taking a swing and hearing it crack
Look at that apple fly

Well tears will dry if you give them time
Life’s a rollercoaster, keep your arms inside                 
Fear, that’s a big emotion
But you are your mother’s child
And she’ll keep you for a while
But soon you’ll be grown, then you’ll be on your own


Comments