End of the Year Survey 2010

My annual end of the year survey.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I purged stuff in the kitchen.  It was probably the only room I the house that i had never gone through before, and it is so much nicer after four rounds of decluttering.  Not only are the tops of the cabinets empty, but so is the top of the fridge... AND I even have a whole shelf in one of the cabinets that is completely empty.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I said I was going to eat less sweets, and I totally forgot all about that.  But I've actually been giving it some thought this time so this year I have more things to work on:
-empty out our storage unit.
-finish reading the music dictionary
-be able to touch my toes (when stretching)


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, a couple of my friends from mom's group.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.  I just wish I could say the same for some of my friends.


5. What countries did you visit?
Again, just the U.S. I haven't been out of the country in a very very long time.  But we visited a new city... Pittsburg.  Not super exciting and we were only there for one night, but it definitely had a unique look.


6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I don't think I really lacked anything this year, but we have plans to make some home improvements in the upcoming months, I'm looking forward to that.


7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 8th, for the Jeff Tweedy show.  Dylan's birthday, our small family Thanksgiving



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally having the guts to get my wisdom teeth taken out.


9. What was your biggest failure?
Not sticking with my plan to read the music dictionary.  I plan on fixing that next year though.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really.  I wound up with a dry socket after getting my wisdom teeth out which hurt like HELL for a good 18 hours.  But since I got the flu shot this year I've managed to stay fairly healthy.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
It was bought for me-- my iPad!


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
So many people:
Matt for doing so well in chess this year
Sarah for doing so well with all her school work (and still managing to babysit for us occasionally)
Mom for all the weight she's still losing, and all the exercising she's doing
Dad for all the running he does
My bro-in-law for graduating
I could go on...


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Bullies


14. Where did most of your money go?
House, cars, Food, Dylan, vacations


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
 seeing Jeff Tweedy in concert earlier this month (so amazing!)


16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I'm really struggling to answer this because there are so many to choose from.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder?: happier
ii. Thinner or Fatter than last year?: thinner
iii. Richer or Poorer?: richer


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Play piano, though I played considerably more this year than I have in the past.  Also, I wish I had done more running


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Watch useless TV


20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent it with our families.  Dylan finally understands holidays, so it was a fun day for him, and we enjoyed watching his reactions throughout the day.


22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Stayed in love


23. How many one-night stands?
0


24. What was your favorite TV program?
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, HIMYM, and General Hospital


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope


26. What was the best book you read?
The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Avett Brothers.  I learned about them on an episode of Ace of Cakes of all places.  But I love their music, and I'm going to see them in DC in Feb.  I've heard they put on a really great live show.

28. What did you want and get?
Front row seats to Jeff Tweedy, and at the very end of the year, a new washing machine.


29. What did you want and not get?
A new winter coat, I've been putting off buying one for the last 3 or 4 years.  Eventually I'm going to have to break down and get one.  Maybe next year.  Also, an iPod playing system for my car, unfortunately it's not cheap, so i don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon.


30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Inception


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29.  In addition to a minor freak out, i went out to dinner with dylan and Matt.  And then had arroz con pollo for dinner with my family a few days later.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hmmm...  I think I had a pretty good year.  If anything, I guess I wish that I had done a better job keeping in touch with some friends.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I minimized my wardrobe.  I like having fewer clothes, but unfortunately I'm not totally in love with the clothes I do have, so I think I'll gradually work at replacing them with better selections.  One day... when I'm not afraid of fashion.


34. What kept you sane?
Matt, music, and yoga


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one particular stands out


36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm not super political, but I'm interested to see how the repeal of DADT works out, and also what is going to happen with the tax cuts.


37. Who did you miss?
Just wish that I could have spent more time with good friends


38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh man, i was so focused on making a musical discovery and reading a good book that i forgot that i need to meet people too so I don't look like such a loser on this survey.  Maybe next year...


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010?
To keep life simple so that I can enjoy and appreciate it better.



40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I crossed many states just to stand here now, my face all hot with tears
I crossed city, and valley, desert, and stream, to bring my body here
My history and future blaze bright in me and all my joy and pain
Go through my head on our mountain bed where I smell your hair again.

All this day long I linger here and on in through the night
My greeds, desires, my cravings, hopes, my dreams inside me fight:
My loneliness healed, my emptiness filled, I walk above all pain
Back to the breast of my woman and child to scatter my seeds again

(okay, so maybe not so much that last line, but I felt obligated to leave it in to keep the stanza complete)
Remember the Mountain Bed,* lyrics by Woody Guthrie music by Wilco

*I searched for a YouTube video of this song... Turns out we were actually at this performance, Philadelphia in 2008, I was super pregnant then.

Comments