New Word

So earlier this night I was driving in the car by myself, which i thoroughly enjoy since i don't get to do very often anymore with Dylan usually in the back seat. But i was on my own, and i was driving the Jetta, which is even better because it has the iPod connector, which means that i was able to listen to whatever music I wanted, at whatever volume I felt necessary. It was great. I fully savor those moments when i get them. I don't know why it's so different than when I'm driving with Dylan because he thankfully hasn't started demanding kids music in the car yet... we conveniently don't own much kids music... I figure he can just learn to appreciate real music from the get go-I'm sure one day he'll pick up on kids music from someone else, but I'm In no hurry to get there any time soon if I don't have to. Besides, he likes plenty of the music we like. in fact there are a few songs he will even request, and as much as I love Wilco, after hearing Hummingbird seven times in a row, I'm about ready to scream. Imagine how i would feel if he were asking for Old MacDonald for an 8th time, i just might lose it. But even with being able to listen to pretty much whatever i want, its not quite the same when he's with me because I'm usually more focused on him than anything else (aside from the road of course), and i try to keep the volume at a decent level. Plus my car plays CDs only and i just couldn't be bothered to change them out that often, so I usually end up listening to the same 6 CDs for a good 6 months.

But when I'm by myself in Matt's car it's a different story. I can listen to any of the music on my iPod, at whatever volume i want, and i can sing along (badly) without someone from the backseat yelling "mommy, don't do that.". So tonight i was listening to the first Raconteurs album, which I haven't listened to in a while when the line: "are you part of this kakistocracy" came on And i decided that "kakistocracy" is probably one of the best words I've heard in a while. Of course it sounds very similar to one of my other favorite words of all time: cacophony. So that was my thought today while driving alone in the car. I just looked up the meaning of the word, because I wasn't even sure it was real, but apparently it has something to do with the worst kind of government. What a cool word.

Comments