Dylan and the Library

I wrote a while ago that Dylan didn't like the library. In fact, he screamed whenever we spent more 5 minutes in one. I tried showing him how fun it was to get a stack of books and read them at the library, I also tried taking him to story time a few times, but that NEVER went well once he got old enough to know where he was. It took me a while (longer than I should admit to), but I finally remember something I heard in grad school about how boys typically like nonfiction books more than story books. So a couple weeks ago I tested the theory. I told Dylan we were going to the library to get truck books... he couldn't wait to go. It worked, we got there and he was so excited about getting some books about trucks, that he didn't seem to mind the fact that we were in the library at all.

We went back yesterday and got some boat books... I think I hit the jackpot by finding one about aircraft carriers, planes and boats at the same time, work in a few trains and construction trucks and he'd never give the book back. He even wanted to go sit in storytime, but we didn't because it was for babies (and of course, he's no longer a baby *sad*) Another successful trip! I just wish the library had a bigger nonfiction section for little kids... at this rate we'll make it through the 2 rows they have in no time.

Comments