Dylan is Growing Up

We have hit a few minor milestones lately with Dylan.

First of all, he's talking up a storm. I think he's reached the 3 word sentence point now and I'm sure 4 and 5 words are just around the corner. His words still aren't that clear... motorcycle sounds more like moder-car, but he's getting there.

Second, we took down the baby gates. He's fully capable of going up and down the stairs now on his own. He still has to hold on to something to keep from losing his balance, but I think he's smart enough to know not to go head first down the stairs. Plus he's pretty s familiar with his boundaries at our house, so there just didn't seem to be a point to the gates anymore. It's so strange to me that he no longer needs to be corralled.

Third, he has peed on the potty a whopping 4 times! Always right before his bath (since the first thing he was doing in his bath was peeing anyway). It took me a few weeks just to get him to sit on the potty, and then a few more weeks before he knew what to do once he was there. But the last few times I've given him a bath he's peed in the potty instead of the bath. We're definitely not potty training yet, but I think this is a good, no pressure opportunity for him to get used to things.

Lastly, I'm phasing out sippy cups. Dylan has been able to drink out of a normal cup for a while now, but mostly due to my laziness we have still been using sippy cups 90% of the time. But this week I decided that we'd stop that. He still gets them for his milk (which he drinks while we read to him) and I give him a straw sippy when we're out of the house. But all his water and juice with and between meals are in cups. Once our last 5 Take 'n Toss cups are gone, I'm not replacing them. Though we'll hang onto the straw cups, since even adults drink out of straws when they are out and about.

I remember going to a library story time seeing moms with comparatively enormous 18 month olds when Dylan was about a month old and thinking that I'll never, never, never make it to that point. And now here I am, with a child who walks, talks, pees in a toilet, and drinks from a cup. Crazy.

Comments