It's About Time

Wow, no posts since New Years... I'm getting really bad at this whole blogging thing. But now I think it's time I get back into it. I've thought about posting from time to time, but I just never sit down and do it. So what do I write about in my semi-new mom life? I guess true to most other aspects of my life I will probably be focusing a lot around Dylan, but I'll try to throw in a few other topics from time to time as well. Alright, enough forward stuff, let's get on to actual post material.

So Dylan is now 1. I think that was the fastest year of my life. I feel like ever since his birthday he's been learning and developing by leaps and bounds. He definitely understands more now, so I'm being careful to talk with him instead of just at him. With his new understanding of language and communication comes a whole new level of frustration though. Matt even commented the other day that Dylan seems to cry more now than he did as a newborn. At first I thought it might have something to do with teething or weening, but after thinking about it for a while I realized that he probably cries more now because he doesn't know how to communicate back to us. I'm sure he has a million things he tries to tell me during the day, but just doesn't know how to make me understand, so he ends up whining or crying instead. This gives me new motivation to teach him some baby signs. So far he doesn't really know any, but I've started using them more consistently and I'm hoping he'll pick them up in the next few weeks. Some of his new and favorite "tricks" at the moment: peek-a-boo (with a blanket or the curtain), putting on hats (which consist of any object that he can semi-balance on his head), giving his bear a hug, pointing, putting toys in his boxes (instead of just taking them out), banging on everything with his new drumsticks, holding the phone up to his ear, and just yesterday he started standing by himself (if only for a few seconds).

That's it for now. Gotta keep it short so I can squeeze in a shower before Dylan wakes up from his nap. More to come soon... hopefully.

Comments