Reading to Pass the Time

6 more days until my due date... but who knows when the baby will actually come.

Since I'm not working anymore, I have had a lot of time to catch up on some reading. Last week I read my first Nora Roberts novel. She's so popular (and writes for adults, which I've been trying to get into) that I decided to give it a try and see what all the fuss was about. I read Tears of the Moon, it's a romance set in Ireland... guy and girl grow up together... guy sees girl as tomboy, girl has crush on guy, eventually guy falls in love with girl... they all live happily ever after. I'm not sure what the conflict was. But overall I'd have to say that most of the teen novels I've read are more interesting and real (even the ones about vampires had more realistic characters). So I think that will probably be my last Nora Roberts book.

I also read another adult book... Tales From the Crib. It's the follow up book to Notes From the Underbelly, which I read last summer. Notes from the Underbelly is about a woman who becomes pregnant and hates everything about it. I actually read it a few months before I found out I was pregnant and pretty much everything in the book terrified me, or at least confirmed my fears about being pregnant. But it was an entertaining read. So Tales From the Crib picks up with the woman having her baby and dealing with life as a new mom. Again, she pretty much hates everything about it, but this time I didn't relate to the book as much as I did the first one. I'm not sure if that's because my circumstances have changed, or if it just shows how much more terrified I was of being pregnant than I am of actually having a baby. But anyway, it was a fun quick read.

Next I read a new teen novel Kiss Me, Kill Me. It's kind of a mystery. Of course the thing I didnt realize is that this book is actually just the first in a new series, so the mystery doesn't get solved at the end. That was frustrating. But it was still pretty good overall... kinda predictable though... but at least there's a conflict.

And finally I've been reading Stephen Colbert's book, I Am America (And So Can You). It's pretty entertaining. I've been on the wait list at the library since it came out and finally got a hold of it. I was surprised to see that it's a nonfiction book with a call number 818.something. I'm trying to figure out what the 818 stands for since I really can't put my finger on what the overall subject is... except perhaps American culture. I know I could just look it up, but the librarian in me is trying to figure it out for herself.

Of course once I finish reading this book, I'll be left with nothing, so I may be spending some time today browsing Amazon and the libraray's catalog looking for new reads. (Basically I need to find enough books to keep me entertained until the final Twilight novel comes out this August... I've never anticipated the release of a book as much as this one).

Comments