Good Pregnancy Resources

Being the wonderful librarian-type that I am, I have mostly relied on my own research to find out everything I need to know about being pregnant. Which really isnt that hard, since there's plenty of info out there on the subject. Some of my most commonly used sources:

1- The Nest. This is the follow up to The Knot, a well known wedding website. Mostly I use this site to read message boards posted by other "real" pregnant women. It's nice to see what other people are really going through so I dont freak out or worry too much. Though I stay away from any post that asks about how much weight people have gained because I think the only women who respond to that are the ones who dont gain any weight (sorry, but finding out that people were losing 5 pounds during the first trimester just wasn't very comforting). Also they tell me how much longer I have left in the pregnancy... as of today there's only 118 days to go. That seems longer than I want it to be.

2- The American Pregnancy Association. A little more authoritative. I dont visit the website too frequently anymore, but I did sign up for their weekly progress email. So now every Sunday I get an email from them telling me what week I'm in (23rd) and what is going on with the baby at this point as well as what is going on with me. This is where I learned about the Round Ligament pain I mentioned in an earlier post. My news for this week is that the 23rd week should be one of the most comfortable weeks of the pregnancy because I'm long done with the first trimester sickness, and not yet big enough to be physically uncomfortable. Which I think is true, when I look back all that throwing up doesn't seem so bad. And other than some back aches and occasional sciatica pains, I'm not too uncomfortable yet. But I feel it coming on... bending down to do things like put my socks on and pick things up off the floor isnt' as easy as it used to be.

3- What to Expect When You're Expecting. A classic book. I got it as soon as I found out I was pregnant. They cover pretty much every topic I need to know about. And at this point I've read pretty much the whole book. I have to admit, I have yet to even look at anything that has to do with delivery. But I plan on taking a class on that (and hopefully Matt will be there to catch me should I pass out when they start talking about epidurals).

Those are the main ones. There are lots of other websites I looked at early on, but I dont really feel the need to go back to them.

Comments