Excitement at Panera

Matt and I did a little shopping this morning... I finally caved and got some maternity clothes. I wore them earlier this evening and I feel stupid for not getting them sooner. They are way more comfortable than squeezing into nonpregnancy pants.

But anyway, before we started shopping we got bagels at Panera. Our server seemed pretty new (based on how long it took him to find the items on the register, not that it was too long, but you could tell that he wasn't really familiar with the layout yet.) After we ordered I went to the drink station to wait for the drinks we ordered, and Matt waited at the bagel section while our server sliced and toasted our bagels. I'm not sure if you've spent much time at the Panera by the outlets, but it isn't exactly the speediest, most efficient place to get food. So after waiting for what I think is longer than I should for the drinks, I noticed that Matt was still waiting on our bagels (which usually doesnt take too long).

So I walked over to wait with him and that's when I saw that the server was trying to put out our bagels which were on fire in the trash can. Apparently he took one of the bagels out of the toaster with a piece of paper rather than (non-fire-catching) tongs. And when he noticed the flames he threw it into the trash can, which was (surprise) filled with equally flammable paper, so things just got worse. But he didn't seem to concerned (I on the other hand was wondering how long it would take for more people to notice and for someone to come over with a fire extinguisher.) Eventually another guy came over to help (equally not as freaked out) and they figured out that they wouldn't be able to put out the fire by standing there and smushing everything down further in the trash can so one of them grabbed it and brought it into the back room where I think I heard him say that he used one of the sink's faucets to put out the fire.

Then the guy came back out and sliced a bagel, put it in the toaster and pulled it out of the toaster with a piece of paper... which, again, caught on fire. But I guess he learned his lesson (or at least part of the lesson) and didn't throw the paper in the trash and instead placed it on a blank spot of the metal counter and just let it burn out. But based on how non-fazed these guys were, I'm guessing this wasn't the first time (and probably wont be the last time) that they've caught bagels on fire at work.

Comments