Giving up the Commute

Total commute time I've been dealing with over the past months:

School: twice a weeks, 9 hours in class, 8 hours driving

Work: two or three times a week (alternating) avg: 20 hours of work, 10 hours of driving/metro

That's like having a part time job of just commuting. I realize that in this area there are a lot of people who do it every day (and from places even further than Leesburg). My grandpa used to commute into NYC from a little town called Mahopac NY (about a 2 hour train ride... that's a train, not the subway) and he did it for YEARS. I talked to him a week ago at my sisters graduation party and told him that whenever commuting started getting to me I would just think "hey Grandpa did it everyday so why can't I?" and he looked at me and said "grandpa was an idiot." But in all honesty, he and my grandmother had 11 kids to take care of, so they were in a different situation than me. He also told me that several of his children would ask him to get them a job in the city and he always told them no, because of the commute. So I'm taking the same advice (even though I made my decision to quit my job before talking to him... at least after I talked with him I felt more justified in my decision... for some reason I needed the validation that I wasn't just too lazy or something).

Anyway, I understand why some people chose to commute SO far to work, but fortunately, I dont have to be one of them.

Comments