School update

Yeah, this is probably going to be at the front of my mind and topics of my blog for a long time. So far, it has been a LOT of work, and it's only gonna get worse from here. In fact once October gets here, I probably wont have any life outside of homework and work, so don't expect to see me blogging much at that point. Or maybe i'll be blogging a lot because i'll be on my computer nonstop.

For the most part my fall classes are far better than my summer classes. But also TONS more work. In comparison, it hardly seems like I was in school at all this summer. I read non stop now. Which is something I've said that I wanted to get back into, but if I have to read nonstop, I really wish the content could be slightly more interesting (I'm sorry, but "The History of Documented Information Management in Western Civilization" will put me to sleep, there's just no way around that). But i do find the subject itself fairly interesting, if for no other reason than the fact that I get to learn about how to organize things better. Wahoo. Also I get to see all the crazy kinds of resources that are available that I never knew about before (unfortunately most of them are subscription based, so once I leave school I wont be able to use them anymore.) My favorite one so far is the Classical Music Library, which contains a TON of classical music you can listen to online (you can listen to the whole work, not just a 30 second clip). I wish I had known about that as an undergrad because it would have saved me hundreds of dollars in CD anthologies. Oh well.

So I read non stop. And I organize non stop. And in between I work and clean and try to have a small social/leisure life. I'm trying to keep a good balance, but I can feel myself slipping into the pulls of obsessing over school (i enjoy it so much). One thing I think I've decided to change so I can use my time more efficiently is my method of note taking. I have still been taking notes by hand (which still seems to be the most common way of taking notes), but today I used my laptop in one class and it was so much easier. Not only that, but as a study method I always go through and type and organize my notes before tests. But I honestly dont have enough time to type up all my notes. So I guess it's time to cut out the middle man... no more hand written notes. I guess I'll have to figure out which seats are closest to a power outlet now so my laptop doesnt die 20 minutes before class ends (which it did today.)

Anyway... Here's a story I'll end with:
While waiting for one of my classes today I over heard a girl and guy talking. The girl was complaining about some class she had to take that was dumb, but she had to take it. The guy asked her what class it was and she was like "Intro to Lawn Care." !!!!!!! funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I think I laughed for a full two minutes thinking about what kind of text they would have, what their syllabus would look like, what their parents would say when they saw that as one of the classes their child was taking, what questions would be on the exams, the fact that a majority of students in the class probably didnt even have their own lawn to take care of (since I'm guessing this is an undergrad class)... the sad thing is that I would probably not pass that class... at least not based on the current condition of our lawn. Ah, it was a nice comic relief in the middle of a very very very long day.

Comments

Tom said…
Hey, this community college thing did get me an idea along with your missing library resources when you graduate. How many of htem are still available if you go to the comunity college?

All of a sudden I'm enrolled (don't even need to be taking a class) and I get access to all these library resources and cheap student prices for products. Everyone should be in college!