It's Official

This morning I had to bring in my husband's car to get the AC fixed. It was leaking all over the back of the car (we had a nice puddle on the passenger side). Unfortunately we didnt realize how bad the problem was until I removed a bag containing ALL my church materials (planning papers, all the music for Youth Sunday, instruction manuals, song lists, sheet music, etc) and found that it was completely water logged and all the stuff in it was mushy and smelled awful (especially with all the heat we had last week.) So now that's all in the trash. Yay. Anyway, this morning I hopped on the toll road on my way to the dealer in Tysons (luckily it's covered under our warranty) and ended up being behind a van with a System of A Down bumper sticker as well as a sticker that said "this machine is powered by the infinite imporbability drive." Awesome. Just had to share that.

Yesterday I had my first graduate class. I got there early for two reasons: the most important-- to avoid rush hour traffic (since class starts at 5:30), and also to run some last minute errands.
So when I got to campus the first thing I wanted to do was get my ID. I knew I had to go to the Mitchell Building, and I knew approximately where the Mitchell building was, but I figured once I got on campus I would just follow the signs to find my way. Guess what? UMD doesnt have signs to tell people where buildings are. That's crazy! And of course being the shy person I am, I didnt want to ask for directions from anyone. But I found it anyway (with a minimum of wandering). I got my ID which says GRADUATE in big letters at the top. Yay. Then I decided to go to the bookstore and make sure there werent any books required for the class. Again, since there were no signs or anything I just started wandering around. I headed toward where I thought the Student Union was (and I was right) figuring that the bookstore would most likely be there (and it was). So the good news is that I dont have to buy any books for this class. Which I'm totally fine with, I just find it a little strange. But my credit card is not complaining. While wandering I also found out a few things about the university of maryland: 1- they are a Pepsi school. I prefer Coke, but oh well. I guess I'll be drinking Sierra Mist more often. 2- they have crosswalks EVERYWHERE. Seriously it's crazy how many they have, especially how close together they are. Which is good if you are walking, but it makes driving around campus a very slow ordeal. 3- They have way more fast food places than any other school I've seen, including McDonalds, Taco Bell, and my favorite Sbarros. Unfortunately when I was there all of them were closed. Guess I'll have to pack my own snacks. Which is probably better for me anyway.

So eventually I made my way to class. Luckily a girl I met at orientation was there, so we kept each other company. I think we'll get along great, and there's a project we have to work on with partners later in the course that we've agreed to work on together. As for the class itself... it's so easy! Of course I say that now, before having done any graded work. But I mean, there's hardly any outside work to do. We have one big project at the end of the semester and 2 littler projects (that we work on with other people during class). Other than that we have a midterm and final, which are open notes, book, and internet. One blog entry we have to write (mine has to be on E-Books) and a current event related to technology that we have to present. Seriously, it's not a problem. We spent the majority of class learning the history of the computer and basics of hardware and software. I better get an A in this class. If not, I messed up big time... and I just dont see that happening. I better enjoy this while it lasts, I'm sure the rest of my classes wont be this light.

Oh and here's another pet peeve I have: Asking personal questions that take up class time. If the answer doesn't benefit the whole class, ask the teacher after it's over. This is especially true if the teacher ends early and your question causes everyone to stay an extra 20 minutes. Some of us have 1 and a half hour drives to tackle.

Ahh, how I've missed school.

Comments